ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet freedoms restrained - SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/CETA/PrECISE-related updates

<< < (8/79) > >>

Renegade:
Another news item here re the TPP draft, from arstechnica: Leaked: US proposal on copyright's limits
I am confused by this. Is this really how easy it is for commercial lobbies to write their own laws and bypass the Senate? That would seem to emasculate the relatively democratic Senate approval processes and effectively make the commercial lobbyists unelected "lawmakers" - wouldn't it?
-IainB (August 06, 2012, 02:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Still on the digital warpath...

It's much worse than that. Much, MUCH worse... If they fail, the Fuhrer President will act... Nah. I was right the first time. The Fuhrer will act...

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/242227-with-defeat-of-cybersecurity-bill-obama-weighs-executive-order-option

After defeat of Senate cybersecurity bill, Obama weighs executive-order option

Senate Republicans recently blocked cybersecurity legislation, but the issue might not be dead after all.

The White House hasn't ruled out issuing an executive order to strengthen the nation's defenses against cyber attacks if Congress refuses to act.

--- End quote ---

Ahem... The Reichstag has been set on fire~!  >:(

Yep.

The White House has emphasized that better protecting vital computer systems is a top priority.
--- End quote ---

And by "protecting vital computer systems", we mean stripping you of any remaining freedoms and rights that you may have...  >:(

God... It simply amazes me that... well... never mind.

TaoPhoenix:

Well, I've done my bit of activism in my corners of the net, I'm gonna have to take a break from all this junk for a while. The emotional roller coaster is wearing me out now.

Renegade:
Well, I've done my bit of activism in my corners of the net, I'm gonna have to take a break from all this junk for a while. The emotional roller coaster is wearing me out now.
-TaoPhoenix (August 06, 2012, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please don't give up! I perfectly well understand what you're feeling.

Not sure, but perhaps you can draw some strength and inspiration from here:

http://dont-tread-on.me/?p=454

(It may be a bit deep down the rabbit hole, but it addresses the emotional wear and tear.)

IainB:
--- End quote ---
I wonder how many people feel/think the same?
I have a theory that a lot of this nonsense is designed to desensitize people by flooding them with incessant change - you get change-induced fatigue/narcosis and stop fighting it. Even the most stalwart activists could become more malleable, less resistant and more accepting.
This is how Scientology and various other brainwashing cults operate.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---
I wonder how many people feel/think the same?
I have a theory that a lot of this nonsense is designed to desensitize people by flooding them with incessant change - you get change-induced fatigue/narcosis and stop fighting it. Even the most stalwart activists could become more malleable, less resistant and more accepting.
This is how Scientology and various other brainwashing cults operate.
-IainB (August 06, 2012, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was that way for a long time.

I won't discuss it in public, but get me out for a beer. ;)

(or 20)

But seriously, I get it. I was that way before. I'm simply sick of hiding my head in the sand now, and much more prone to spitting out the truth. It pisses some people off. I no longer care.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version