ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet freedoms restrained - SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/CETA/PrECISE-related updates

<< < (5/79) > >>

IainB:
Just got this email from [email protected]:
Great work on the calls and emails yesterday.

Staffers on Capitol Hill tell us there was a big uptick in constituent pressure today.

But they also say we need to push even harder to win the Franken-Paul amendment, and other privacy amendments, when they come up for votes this week.

Pro-privacy changes have been added to the cyber-security bill, but they don't go far enough to protect us from surveillance by the government and corporations.

There are three things that you can do to help us pressure the Senate:

* 1) If you haven't yet, click here to email your senators to ask them to support the Al Franken-Rand Paul amendment. It would make sure companies can't spy on their users' private communications.

* 2) Please call your senators. Click here to get their phone numbers and a call script -- it'll just take a minute or two.

* 3) Then help us enlist others by using these links or forwarding this email to share info about this urgent campaign:
[fb]    If you're already on Facebook, click here to share with your friends.
[fb]    If you're already on Twitter, click here to tweet about the campaign: Tweet

We can win this one.

-Demand Progress
Paid for by Demand Progress (DemandProgress.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

One last thing -- Demand Progress's small, dedicated, under-paid staff relies on the generosity of members like you to support our work. Will you click here to chip in $5 or $10? Or you can become a Demand Progress monthly sustainer by clicking here. Thank you!

--- End quote ---

IainB:
Some measure of success from [email protected]:
The Internet wins again!

The advocates for the cyber-security bill failed to get enough support to proceed to a final vote on the legislation.

They won't be reading your email and sharing your personal data -- anytime soon, at least.

Will you thank the senators who stood with us to protect privacy and Internet freedom? We'll need their help again soon

And then please use these links or forward this email (and Success Baby) to make sure your friends know too.

* If you're already on Facebook, click here to share with your friends.
* If you're already on Twitter, click here to tweet about the campaign: Tweet
You guys were amazing throughout this fight: Demand Progress members sent 500,000 emails to the Senate and made thousands of phone calls in opposition to the bill.

Countless other activists took up this fight too -- groups like the ACLU, EFF, Center for Democracy and Technology, Fight for the Future, and Free Press.

Just as important was the coalition of senators working on the inside to stand up for our rights:

There's a newly empowered corps of senators who've made it clear that they'll stand strong when the government threatens our privacy -- people like Ron Wyden (OR), Al Franken (MN), and Bernie Sanders (VT).

Please click here to make sure they know that we're grateful, and that we'll stand with them too -- we'll have to fight this battle again sometime soon.

Great work, everbody!

-Demand Progress

PS: Please share the great news with your friends and help us convert them into Internet activists.  You can forward this email or use these links.

--- End quote ---

Renegade:
The Internet wins again!

--- End quote ---

Don't forget gun freedom! They stuck gun control into that bill as well... Seriously. I'm not kidding.

But I am very happy to read that! Thanks for posting it IainB! :)  :up:

tomos:
Some measure of success from [email protected]:
-IainB (August 03, 2012, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

(probably no big deal, but the two long links in the quote in your post are using your moniker)

IainB:
Don't forget gun freedom! They stuck gun control into that bill as well... Seriously. I'm not kidding.
-Renegade (August 03, 2012, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I know. I think I already pointed that out in two places:

* this thread above - here.
* in the NRA thread that you started up in The Basement.(My comment in each was "Huh?")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version