ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet freedoms restrained - SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/CETA/PrECISE-related updates

<< < (11/79) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
The surprising thing is the Rise of Facebook and YouTube, isn't Web 2.0 All about "Sharing"? So we have the **AA handling Music & Movies, but look at the stunning numbers of clips on YouTube that list "all property owned by _______, no copyright infringement intended." How can they even post that? It gets into a twisted circle of "A, is the user that dumb?" or B, "Does the **AA like the nice record breaking sales generated by an obscure cat lady on a British television talent show that no American would ever see normally?"

A long time ago I posted an aggressive note on Slashdot, calling someone's bluff about copyright, when he claimed "he wanted to explore piracy on sales". I smelled a rat, and created a special Creative Commons edition, at which point he magically backed away. Oh, there we go, let's let people "infringe virally" when it helps our sales but retain lawsuit possibilities, and then block other stuff when we don't like it."

IainB:
Goodness me, dictatorship seems to be on the up-and-up in the US. If you can't get a Bill passed through Congress by lawful democratic process, then it seems that you can always dictate it by Executive Order:
White House Circulating Draft of Executive Order On Cybersecurity
Posted by Soulskill on Saturday September 08, @05:54PM
from the do-things-if-you-want-or-not-we-don't-care dept.

New submitter InPursuitOfTruth writes with news that the Obama administration has been circulating a draft of an executive order focused on cybersecurity. This follows the recent collapse of an attempt at cybersecurity legislation in the Senate. According to people who have seen the draft, the order would codify standards and best practices for critical infrastructure. That said, it's questionable how effective it would be, since participation would be voluntary, and the standards would be set by "an inter-agency council that would be led by the Department of Homeland Security." The other agencies involved would include NIST, the DoD, and the Commerce Dept. "It would be left up to the companies to decide what steps they want to take to meet the standards, so the government would not dictate what type of technology or strategy they should adopt."

--- End quote ---

Happy days.

Renegade:
Republic > Democracy > Dictatorship > Tyranny

The downward spiral in action! And we all get to see it in our lifetime! My how we live in "interesting" times...  :'(

kyrathaba:
And we all get to see it in our lifetime!
--- End quote ---

Either that, or our children will. I fear for them sometimes...

TaoPhoenix:
Republic > Democracy > Dictatorship > Tyranny
-Renegade (September 09, 2012, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's one of the creepiest songs I've ever heard. Stabilizers - Tyranny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfgKy6B-1R8

The lyrics are just vicious in describing how a manipulator thinks. Then the music is so smooth for the music.

(Simulation of mood)
Here, little Renegade. Ssh, thinking is too hard for you. Here, come lie down on this nice bed in this comfy little padded cage. Here's a nice hat for you to wear. After I plug it in, you'll feel a lot better. (Neurocranial stimulation of endorphins.)

:o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version