ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet freedoms restrained - SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/CETA/PrECISE-related updates

<< < (56/79) > >>

IainB:
...Of course it helps to have a link where you can send your letter in opposition:
[url]http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/CISPA_IBM
-Tinman57 (April 16, 2013, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does indeed! (That's why I it right at the start of the post and not as an embedded link in the copied email.)    :tellme:

Tinman57:
I presume this ArsTechnica news item is true (one can't be too sure, given some of their aparently mediocre journalism): Obama threatens CISPA veto, sponsor calls opponents basement-dwelling 14-year-olds

If it is true, then:

* (a) It looks like the Obama administration are wanting to block this CISPA legislation that could threaten to erode citizens' statutory rights - whereas the same administration is at the same time apparently intent on shoving through other legislation that would ... threaten to reduce citizens' statutory rights!?
Is this some kind of "good cop, bad cop" play?

* (b) Some people (not me you understand) might say that a senator who would malign in such a vitriolic and despising way any opponents to his proposed legislation to erode citizens' statutory rights would seem to be acting unprofessionally and against the interests of citizens, and that may indicate that he has a vested interest in the proposals getting pushed through - but I couldn't possibly comment. -IainB (April 16, 2013, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of makes you wonder, don't it?  These very same politicians have to take an oath to protect the Constitution of the U.S., but their communist like agenda says they're trying everything they can to destroy the Constitution and remove the freedoms and rights of all Americans, and in some cases other nations.  I think most all politicians rate right down there with spammers, scammers and crooks.....

Tinman57:
...Of course it helps to have a link where you can send your letter in opposition:
[url]http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/CISPA_IBM
-Tinman57 (April 16, 2013, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does indeed! (That's why I it right at the start of the post and not as an embedded link in the copied email.)    :tellme:
-IainB (April 16, 2013, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL!  The way it sets at the very top I thought that was part of something else.  That's why I always put links at the end of the article.

Anyhow, I got that same exact email today and wasn't too surprised that it had got posted here already, which is a good thing.  Hopefully people will take it to heart and at least take the time out to make their voice heard by contacting their Representatives.

BTW, 

Tinman57:

Not only is this piece of dirt for government spying, but he also thinks of freedom loving people as, well, read on...

CISPA sponsor Rep. Mike Rogers said something on camera that he will probably regret for a long time.
Rep. Mike Rogers admits that CISPA helps rich tech CEOs, then calls opponents of CISPA "14 year olds in their basements." And it's on video.
--- End quote ---

http://www.reddit.com/r/SOPA/comments/1ci3qn/rep_mike_rogers_admits_that_cispa_helps_rich_tech

IainB:
Not only is this piece of dirt for government spying, but he also thinks of freedom loving people as, well, read on...
-Tinman57 (April 17, 2013, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well yes, and that's kinda why I wrote:
(b) Some people (not me you understand) might say that a senator who would malign in such a vitriolic and despising way any opponents to his proposed legislation to erode citizens' statutory rights would seem to be acting unprofessionally and against the interests of citizens, and that may indicate that he has a vested interest in the proposals getting pushed through - but I couldn't possibly comment.
-IainB (April 16, 2013, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's such an amazing thing for a Senator to say about opponents to a bill he is proposing. As someone on this reddit thread commented:
[–]Selfcommit 4 points 8 hours ago
How is this not front page?

--- End quote ---

That would seem to be a good question.

Just supposing: If you were a Senator who was being put under enormous pressure to shut your mouth and propose a bill that you knew with certainty would inevitably chip away at US citizens' constitutional rights, then might you make the sort of seemingly daft and outlandish remarks that this Senator is making, just to publicise the issue and get people's attention about what was going on?
It's certainly getting attention now, isn't it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version