topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How does FARR Updates its Catalog?  (Read 3019 times)

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How does FARR Updates its Catalog?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Launchy has been my Old Companion for a while, it does perform an "Automatic" Catalog updating every 10 minutes(as per Default enabled option); how does the same(Catalog Updating) work for FARR?

I have gone through the Config. window, but probably couldn't find anything relevant in this context..!?

Throw some light on the "Catalog Updation" within FARR..pls :-)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How does FARR Updates its Catalog?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Read this thread for a discussion of what makes FARR different from other Launchers -- the issue of indexing is discussed.

The bottom line is that currently FARR does *NOT* use an index/catalog -- that means it is always searching the live and current contents of the directories it searches.

The advantages of this are a lower memory footprint and always-up-to-date results.  Some people use FARR specifically because it does not use an index.  The disadvantage is that it makes FARR less suitable for full-disk searching.

Later this year I plan a major new version release that will include the OPTION of indexing.

NOTE: FARR *does* cache the list of recently launched files, so that after you launch a file even once, it will be found instantly in subsequent searches.  So if you find that FARR takes a bit of time to find the program you want to launch on the first search, rest assured it will be fast the next time you search for it.