topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 - Mini-Review (scientific math + graphing calculator)  (Read 24103 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Originally posted:2012-07-10
Last updated2018-04-11

Basic Info
App Name:10_100x79_EE81D4BE.png Microsoft Mathematics 4.0
Description:Microsoft's virtual scientific math + graphing calculator
Thumbs-Up Rating :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
App URL:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15702
App Version Reviewed:Microsoft Mathematics v4.0 (64-bit)
Test System Specs:Used on:
  • Win7-64 Home Premium
  • Win8 and 8.1-64 Pro
  • Win10-64 Pro
Supported OSes:Win 32-bit and 64-bit (there is a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version)
Support Methods:Download archive (no support per se) - here.
Upgrade Policy:Not being further developed.
Trial Version Available?Is $FREE
Pricing Scheme:$FREE

This is a screenshot of the opening "Worksheet" tab of the GUI:

Microsoft Mathematics calculator - 03 Worksheet.png

- and the "Graphing" tab of the GUI:

Microsoft Mathematics calculator - 04 Graphing.png

Intro:
This is a possibly "the last word" in calculators. It is a calculator extraordinaire and has an interesting history.
  • Note: There are multiple files available for this download. Once you click on the "Download" button, you will be prompted to select the files you need.
    Version: 4.0
    Date Published: 1/12/2011
    File Name:
     * MSetup_x86.exe - 17.6 MB
     * MSetup_x64.exe - 18.9 MB
     * Readme_Mathematics4.htm - 7 KB

Microsoft Mathematics provides a set of mathematical tools that help students get school work done quickly and easily. With Microsoft Mathematics, students can learn to solve equations step-by-step while gaining a better understanding of fundamental concepts in pre-algebra, algebra, trigonometry, physics, chemistry, and calculus.

Microsoft Mathematics includes a full-featured graphing calculator that’s designed to work just like a handheld calculator. Additional math tools help you evaluate triangles, convert from one system of units to another, and solve systems of equations.
  • Microsoft Mathematics (formerly Microsoft Math) is an educational program, designed for Microsoft Windows, that allows users to solve math and science problems. Developed and maintained by Microsoft, it is primarily targeted at students as a learning tool.
    A related freeware add-in, called Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote, is also available from Microsoft that offers comparable functionality (Word 2007 or higher is required).[1][2]
    Microsoft Math has received 2008 Award of Excellence from Tech & Learning Magazine.[3]

This is a screenshot of the "Graphing" tab in use:

Microsoft Mathematics calculator - 04a Graphing.png

You can get animation too:

Microsoft Mathematics calculator - 04b Graphing.png

Who this app is designed for:
Though it seems to be aimed primarily at students, it is a beautiful calculator in its own right, being loaded with extensive calculator (maths and stats) functionality - e.g., it even has animation of graphing of equations.
The related freeware add-in, called Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote could make this a tremendously useful adjunct for documentation exercises involving maths/stats.
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)    :( 

The Good:
This is just a simply beautiful calculator - the stuff of dreams.     :-*

The needs improvement section:
As an educational tool or as a tool for daily use, it seems undeniably fit-for-purpose.
Educational was my original purpose in installing it - for my 10 y/o daughter's enlightenment, but it could also teach me a thing or two.
No shortcomings that I am aware of.
It is also a superb calculator, and I have been using it as such.

Why I think you should use this product:
If you need it for educational purposes, or for daily use, this could be the ultimate calculator for you.
I think it is a superb calculator.

How does it compare to similar apps:
I have not had any experience of anything quite in the same league as this, so have nothing to say about it here. Maybe some of the readers of this post will be able to contribute some comparisons from their experience.
As above, this could be the ultimate calculator for you.

Conclusions:
A beautiful calculator.

Links to other info sources/reviews of this application:
  • Microsoft Download Center details - here.
  • Wikipedia article - here.
  • Review at technojourney.com - here. This is an example. If you google it, there are many references and videos relating to MS Mathematics.

Notes in the application itself:
The "About" window:

Microsoft Mathematics calculator - 01 About.png

The comprehensive Help file:

Microsoft Mathematics calculator - 02 Help.png
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:18 PM by IainB »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 - Mini-Review (calculator)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:02 AM »
That does look pretty cool, nice find :Thmbsup:.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Thanks for writing the review — interesting.  :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:43 PM »
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)

I think you may need to use the add-in that matches your Word or One-Note installation, not necessarily the OS.  In other words, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a 64-bit OS (which is I think is the common configuration even on a 64-bit OS), you should install the 32-bit Add-in.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30 PM »
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)
I think you may need to use the add-in that matches your Word or One-Note installation, not necessarily the OS.  In other words, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a 64-bit OS (which is I think is the common configuration even on a 64-bit OS), you should install the 32-bit Add-in.
I just belatedly realised that I never thanked you for this tip. You were right, of course.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't think where to post this, except in this (educational) thread.
It's a nifty animated GIF of Pi:
The number Pi is a mathematical constant. Originally defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, it now has various equivalent definitions and appears in many formulas in all areas of mathematics and physics. It is approximately equal to 3.14159. It has been represented by the Greek letter for "p" since the mid-18th century, though it is also sometimes spelled out as "pi". It is also called Archimedes’ constant.[1] (Read more at the link.)
Copied from: Pi - Wikipedia - <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi>
Pi (Math.)- 02 unrolled-720 math educational (anim).gif
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:08 AM by IainB »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 05:22 AM »
It's a nifty animated GIF of Pi

How cool!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50 AM »
A quiety brilliant animation. :Thmbsup:

Thx for sharing it,

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 07:48 PM »

Microsoft warns agains the use of 64-bit Office versions. They imply that unless you have an absolute reason to use a 64-bit Office version you should download the 32-bit one. This warning was not readily but quite accessible when I downloaded their trial Office 2010 version at the time.

I'll guess that this warning is still valid till this day.

Here's the screenshot I made that day:
image001.gif

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51 AM »
2018-04-10: Some maintenance of this review thread:
  • Have updated the OP.
  • Am in the process of tidying-up/re-assigning the images, as they seem to have been shuffled in the migration to the new CMS.    >:(  (the price of progress).

EDIT: Hey, the rearranging of the images was a trivial and easy exercise in this new CMS!   :Thmbsup:
(Was a world of pain under the old CMS...)
Thanks, @mouser.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:47 AM by IainB »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29 PM »
2018-04-10: Some maintenance of this review thread:
  • Have updated the OP.
  • Am in the process of tidying-up/re-assigning the images, as they seem to have been shuffled in the migration to the new CMS.    >:(  (the price of progress).

I'm confused....this (SMF forum) has nothing to do with the CMS (Joomla) - They are 2 entirely different applications and moving from the static website to Joomla wouldn't affect SMF  :huh:

EDIT: Hey, the rearranging of the images was a trivial and easy exercise in this new CMS!   :Thmbsup:
Thanks, @mouser.

:huh: There was no old CMS O_O

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51 PM »
@Stephen66515:
I'm confused....this (SMF forum) has nothing to do with the CMS (Joomla) - They are 2 entirely different applications and moving from the static website to Joomla wouldn't affect SMF 

EDIT: Hey, the rearranging of the images was a trivial and easy exercise in this new CMS!   
Thanks, @mouser.

There was no old CMS O_O
-Stephen66515 (April 09, 2018, 01:29 PM)

Ahh, thanks. Now that explains it. Because it had been so easy to make the changes in the OP in this thread, I had assumed that this amazing and unprecedented ease-of-use must have been brought about as a result of changes of which I had no idea about.
Sadlement, I realised later that it was a fluke - as I discovered later after trying to tidy up another mini-review that has lots of images, where I found myself back again in the familiar, clunky, constipated chronic world-of-pain with which one has become so accustomed to on this forum.

So, I take it back: No thanks to YOU, @mouser, you ratbag!    :down:  :down:  :down:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 02:22 AM »
@Stephen66515:
I'm confused....this (SMF forum) has nothing to do with the CMS (Joomla) - They are 2 entirely different applications and moving from the static website to Joomla wouldn't affect SMF 

EDIT: Hey, the rearranging of the images was a trivial and easy exercise in this new CMS!   
Thanks, @mouser.

There was no old CMS O_O
-Stephen66515 (April 09, 2018, 01:29 PM)

Ahh, thanks. Now that explains it. Because it had been so easy to make the changes in the OP in this thread, I had assumed that this amazing and unprecedented ease-of-use must have been brought about as a result of changes of which I had no idea about.
Sadlement, I realised later that it was a fluke - as I discovered later after trying to tidy up another mini-review that has lots of images, where I found myself back again in the familiar, clunky, constipated chronic world-of-pain with which one has become so accustomed to on this forum.

So, I take it back: No thanks to YOU, @mouser, you ratbag!    :down:  :down:  :down:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Back on the topic of the review though....I had NO idea this existed and shall now go download it because I have a crap load of math stuff to do for Uni and this looks damn perfect for it :O

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 06:27 AM »
@Stephen66515:
Back on the topic of the review though....I had NO idea this existed and shall now go download it because I have a crap load of math stuff to do for Uni and this looks damn perfect for it :O
-Stephen66515 (April 10, 2018, 02:22 AM)

If you do try it out, could you please leave some notes about your experiences with this calculator, for posterity, on this thread? (Thanks.)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 06:30 AM »
@Stephen66515:
-Stephen66515 (April 10, 2018, 02:22 AM)

If you do try it out, could you please leave some notes about your experiences with this calculator, for posterity, on this thread? (Thanks.)

I sure will!