ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 - Mini-Review (scientific math + graphing calculator)

(1/3) > >>

IainB:
Originally posted:2012-07-10Last updated2018-04-11
Basic Info
App Name: Microsoft Mathematics 4.0Description:Microsoft's virtual scientific math + graphing calculatorThumbs-Up Rating :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:App URL:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15702App Version Reviewed:Microsoft Mathematics v4.0 (64-bit)Test System Specs:Used on:

* Win7-64 Home Premium
* Win8 and 8.1-64 Pro
* Win10-64 ProSupported OSes:Win 32-bit and 64-bit (there is a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version)Support Methods:Download archive (no support per se) - here.Upgrade Policy:Not being further developed.Trial Version Available?Is $FREEPricing Scheme:$FREE
This is a screenshot of the opening "Worksheet" tab of the GUI:

- and the "Graphing" tab of the GUI:

Intro:
This is a possibly "the last word" in calculators. It is a calculator extraordinaire and has an interesting history.

* Note: There are multiple files available for this download. Once you click on the "Download" button, you will be prompted to select the files you need.
Version: 4.0
Date Published: 1/12/2011
File Name:
 * MSetup_x86.exe - 17.6 MB
 * MSetup_x64.exe - 18.9 MB
 * Readme_Mathematics4.htm - 7 KB

Microsoft Mathematics provides a set of mathematical tools that help students get school work done quickly and easily. With Microsoft Mathematics, students can learn to solve equations step-by-step while gaining a better understanding of fundamental concepts in pre-algebra, algebra, trigonometry, physics, chemistry, and calculus.

Microsoft Mathematics includes a full-featured graphing calculator that’s designed to work just like a handheld calculator. Additional math tools help you evaluate triangles, convert from one system of units to another, and solve systems of equations.

--- End quote ---

* Microsoft Mathematics (formerly Microsoft Math) is an educational program, designed for Microsoft Windows, that allows users to solve math and science problems. Developed and maintained by Microsoft, it is primarily targeted at students as a learning tool.
A related freeware add-in, called Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote, is also available from Microsoft that offers comparable functionality (Word 2007 or higher is required).[1][2]
Microsoft Math has received 2008 Award of Excellence from Tech & Learning Magazine.[3]

--- End quote ---

This is a screenshot of the "Graphing" tab in use:

You can get animation too:

Who this app is designed for:
Though it seems to be aimed primarily at students, it is a beautiful calculator in its own right, being loaded with extensive calculator (maths and stats) functionality - e.g., it even has animation of graphing of equations.
The related freeware add-in, called Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote could make this a tremendously useful adjunct for documentation exercises involving maths/stats.
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)    :( 

The Good:
This is just a simply beautiful calculator - the stuff of dreams.     :-*

The needs improvement section:
As an educational tool or as a tool for daily use, it seems undeniably fit-for-purpose.
Educational was my original purpose in installing it - for my 10 y/o daughter's enlightenment, but it could also teach me a thing or two.
No shortcomings that I am aware of.
It is also a superb calculator, and I have been using it as such.

Why I think you should use this product:
If you need it for educational purposes, or for daily use, this could be the ultimate calculator for you.
I think it is a superb calculator.

How does it compare to similar apps:
I have not had any experience of anything quite in the same league as this, so have nothing to say about it here. Maybe some of the readers of this post will be able to contribute some comparisons from their experience.
As above, this could be the ultimate calculator for you.

Conclusions:
A beautiful calculator.

Links to other info sources/reviews of this application:

* Microsoft Download Center details - here.
* Wikipedia article - here.
* Review at technojourney.com - here. This is an example. If you google it, there are many references and videos relating to MS Mathematics.
Notes in the application itself:
The "About" window:

The comprehensive Help file:

Jibz:
That does look pretty cool, nice find :Thmbsup:.

cranioscopical:
Thanks for writing the review — interesting.  :Thmbsup:

mwb1100:
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)
-IainB (July 10, 2012, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you may need to use the add-in that matches your Word or One-Note installation, not necessarily the OS.  In other words, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a 64-bit OS (which is I think is the common configuration even on a 64-bit OS), you should install the 32-bit Add-in.

IainB:
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)
-IainB (July 10, 2012, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think you may need to use the add-in that matches your Word or One-Note installation, not necessarily the OS.  In other words, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a 64-bit OS (which is I think is the common configuration even on a 64-bit OS), you should install the 32-bit Add-in.
-mwb1100 (July 10, 2012, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just belatedly realised that I never thanked you for this tip. You were right, of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version