Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 21, 2014, 11:50:13 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 - Mini-Review (calculator)  (Read 4643 times)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:45:28 AM »

Basic Info
App NameMicrosoft Mathematics 4.0
Thumbs-Up Rating Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup
App URLhttps://www.microsoft.com...oad/details.aspx?id=15702
App Version ReviewedMicrosoft Mathematics v4.0 (64-bit)
Test System Specs
MS Win 7-64 Home Premium
Supported OSesWin 64-bit (there is a 32-bit version also)
Support MethodsDownload and Support - here.
Upgrade PolicyNot known. Probably intermittent. Price = $FREE
Trial Version Available?Is FREE
Pricing SchemeIs FREE
This is a screenshot of the opening "Worksheet" tab of the GUI:

- and the "Graphing" tab of the GUI:

Intro:
This is a calculator extraordinaire with an interesting history.
From Wikipedia:
Microsoft Mathematics (formerly Microsoft Math) is an educational program, designed for Microsoft Windows, that allows users to solve math and science problems. Developed and maintained by Microsoft, it is primarily targeted at students as a learning tool.
A related freeware add-in, called Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote, is also available from Microsoft that offers comparable functionality (Word 2007 or higher is required).[1][2]
Microsoft Math has received 2008 Award of Excellence from Tech & Learning Magazine.[3]
This is a screenshot of the "Graphing" tab in use.

You can get animation too:

Who this app is designed for:
Though it seems to be aimed primarily at students, it is a beautiful calculator in its own right, being loaded with extensive calculator (maths and stats) functionality - e.g., it even has animation of graphing of equations.
The related freeware add-in, called Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote could make this a tremendously useful adjunct for documentation exercises involving maths/stats.
(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)    Sad  

The Good:
This is just a simply beautiful calculator - the stuff of dreams.     Kiss

The needs improvement section:
As an educational tool or as a tool for daily use, it seems undeniably fit-for-purpose.
Educational was my original purpose in installing it - for my 10 y/o daughter's enlightenment, but it could also teach me a thing or two.
No shortcomings that I am aware of.
It is also a superb calculator, and I have been using it as such.

Why I think you should use this product:
If you need it for educational purposes, or for daily use, this could be the ultimate calculator for you.
I think it is a superb calculator.

How does it compare to similar apps:
I have not had any experience of anything quite in the same league as this, so have nothing to say about it here. Maybe some of the readers of this post will be able to contribute some comparisons from their experience.
As above, this could be the ultimate calculator for you.

Conclusions:
A beautiful calculator.

Links to other info sources/reviews of this application:
The "About" window:

The comprehensive Help file:

• Microsoft Download Center details - here.
  • Wikipedia article - here.
  • Review at technojourney.com - here. This is an example. If you google it, there are many references and videos relating to MS Mathematics.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:24:32 PM by IainB; Reason: Minor update. » Logged
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:02:11 AM »

That does look pretty cool, nice find Thmbsup.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »

Thanks for writing the review — interesting.  Thmbsup

Chris
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »

(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)

I think you may need to use the add-in that matches your Word or One-Note installation, not necessarily the OS.  In other words, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a 64-bit OS (which is I think is the common configuration even on a 64-bit OS), you should install the 32-bit Add-in.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30:50 PM »

(Unfortunately, I have so far been unable to get these add-ins to work. This may be because of conflicts with the 64-bit OS.)
I think you may need to use the add-in that matches your Word or One-Note installation, not necessarily the OS.  In other words, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a 64-bit OS (which is I think is the common configuration even on a 64-bit OS), you should install the 32-bit Add-in.
I just belatedly realised that I never thanked you for this tip. You were right, of course.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »

Can't think where to post this, except in this (educational) thread.
It's a nifty animated GIF of Pi:

x16wda
Supporting Member

what am I doing in this handbasket?

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »

It's a nifty animated GIF of Pi

How cool!

vi vi vi - editor of the beast
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »

A quiety brilliant animation. Thmbsup

Thx for sharing it,

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Shades

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »

Microsoft warns agains the use of 64-bit Office versions. They imply that unless you have an absolute reason to use a 64-bit Office version you should download the 32-bit one. This warning was not readily but quite accessible when I downloaded their trial Office 2010 version at the time.

I'll guess that this warning is still valid till this day.

Here's the screenshot I made that day:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.08 ]