Newsletter for July 9, 2012
"100 Days of Summer Slumber"
1. Newsletter Editorial
Hello dear readers and greetings from Illinois, where I've been hiding out in my air conditioned bunker while the temperature outside breaks the triple digits. It's been nearly 100 days since the last DonationCoder newsletter, so this is going to be a big one. I apologize that it's taken so long to get this one out, and I promise it won't take so long to get out the next one. The last time we talked we were just kicking off our March fundraiser, which turned out to be a wonderful success. A huge thank you goes out to everyone who donated and cheered us on. The fundraisers have such an invigorating effect on the site -- I can't overstate the morale boost they provide. Thank you all.
On other news, we've been very steadily working on the transition to a new content management system for the website, which will make it a little easier for us to update and maintain content. DC member Mitzevo is leading the project and the new site layout looks great. Unfortunately, it's proving a not insignificant challenge that we have so many different esoteric areas of the website, so we still have quite a ways to go -- but that's the nature of the site so what can you do? Ok enough rambling, onto the newsletter sections!
2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested
We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions. In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.
- Software Install Tip: When windows wants to reboot, I suggest you let it
- DC Mug/TShirt Designs that would be nice to have an artist for..
- Transitioning the DC website pages to a CMS?
- Proposal: DC Poker Tournament Night
- Preparing your data for your inevitable death
- Blog comments - On of off?
- What will be your next computer?
- Is Linux just a hobby?
3. Mouser's Software Updates and Discussions
Since the last newsletter there have been a bunch of updates to my software, some minor, some major.
- Screenshot Captor v3.08
- Clipboard Help+Spell v2.13
- MutiPhotoQuotes v1.36
- Web Link Captor v1.10
- LaunchBar Commander v1.132
- DcUpdate v1.30 and DcuHelper v1.11
- Windows 8 and Find and Run Robot
- Webcam Video Diary / Flipbook Printer Tips - Reducing Blur
- Point Motivator Suggestions
- Yumps Videos
4. Skwire Empire Updates and New Releases
DC member Skwire has been unstoppable on the Coding Snacks area of our forum -- writing new freeware utilities on request, and constantly releasing updates for his existing tools. Lots of new updates this month, plus one big new one for comic book archive readers:
- Comic Book Archive Creator v1.0.0
- ClipTrap v1.1.1
- File Punter v1.0.6
- Files 2 Folder v1.1.3
- PlayTime v1.3.1
- sCheckbook v1.0.6
- SFV Ninja v1.1.2
- sWeather v1.2.1
- Tags 2 Folder v1.0.7
- Text 2 Folders v1.0.8
- Trout v184.108.40.206
5. Other Coding Snacks and Member Projects
The Coding Snacks section is one of the things that people love the most about DonationCoder -- it's where anyone can post a request for a custom piece of software -- and often find the requests granted overnight by one of the coders who inhabit the forum (like DC members Ath, MilesAhead, c.gingerich, 4wd, and others).
- Double Click Needed
- Frackin' Reserve - A Fractional Reserve Banking and Compound Interest Simulator
- AHK Find and Replace
- Birthday Program (What day were you born on?)
- Just could not RESIST (A resistance calculator)
- Windows software shortcut (LNK) creator
- 1-action Unzip
- Simple Duplicate Folder Finder
- AMDER: Actor Missing Dialogue Error Report release: v220.127.116.11
- Folder Properties Auto-Update....
- Batch adjust shortcut targets
- Generate sequential serial numbers
- BubbleRand v1.03
In the past few years we've drifted from larger reviews to user-written mini-reviews, and we've had quite a few posted since the last newsletter.
- 14 days with SmugMug and Zenfolio
- Rarma Radio (Raimersoft) - Mini-Review
- Readerware 3 Book Cataloging software
- My experience with board games.
- AdBlock for Chrome
- SNS-HDR - Mini-Review
- Windows Firewall Control - Mini Review
- DVD Decrypter - DVD ripping tool - Mini-Review
- Mindbloom - The only Gamified Web-based Mindmap that I know Of currently (Old)
- Stick-A-Note + Universal Viewer - Mini-Review
7. Fun, Humor, and Amusements on the Web
You've made it half way through the newsletter, so let's have a break. Go make yourself a lemonade, and check out these fun websites and videos!
- Animal Friends video thread
- Kid's homemade cardboard carnival arcade (video)
- Man rows across Atlantic... inspiring
- Linus Torvalds on NVIDIA -- "F**k you!"
- 513 interesting wallpapers (NSFW warning)
- Techie News Roundup
- Science News Roundup
- Apple...Just ever so slightly paranoid?
- O Fortuna Misheard Lyrics
8. General Software Discussion
Almost half the posts on the DC forum take the form of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. These posts wind up in the General Software Discussion section and make it one of the most active sections of the DC forum. This is a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware-related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we split the recent content into two sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.
- "Net Nanny" or other inappropriate content blocking programs?
- New iPad owner. Please suggest Apps.
- Team Time management/recording software
- Recommend bulk editor for EXIF/IPTC metadata?
- Software for creating a new entry in the main contextual menu
- Explode a portion of a video in multiples images
- Software to ONLY search bookmarked/favorited pages?
- Steam Summer Sale 2012 (Indie Bundles)
- FreewareGenius.com: Four Free Apps That Can Transform How You Read the News
9. Specific Software Discussion and Software Services
This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.
- Splinter - Visual Desktop Tool
- OpalCalc 1.43
- Color My Folder 18.104.22.168 (DC Special)
- TED Downloader: Download Videos from TED Conference
- Sublime Text 2.0 final
- Mozilla to "stop innovation" on Thunderbird
- Microsoft takes on Dropbox with major SkyDrive update
- Google Drive launched
- Parameters Control Diary: Tracking your life
- BookmarkQ: share pages with sections highlighted
- sRemote: Run Remote Commands To Your PC Via Gmail
- psr.exe = Problem Steps Recorder (for Win 7)
- DropBox to drop support for Public folder (no more direct links)
- FTPBox - Dropbox alternative for those with FTP access
10. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions
What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members? What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out...
- CamelCamelCamel: Nice Amazon Price Watcher
- FreewareGenius on Free online courses from the top 40 colleges in the US
- Udacity - free online education for real
- From ZDnet writer - Final Thoughts on Windows 8: A Design Disaster
- FBI: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet In July
- Searching Amazon for Kindle "Best Sellers" that are currently FREE
- Facebook Changed Everyone's Email to @Facebook.com; Here's How to Fix It
- Windows Aero (transparent window borders, etc.) is dead.. Good riddance
- Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button
- Used Software Can Be Sold, Says EU Court of Justice
- Articles on publishing standards and the future of public libraries
- Wakoopa discontinuing service
- Nice 2008 Wired.com article about SuperMemo and the science of memorization
- FSF Spells out its concerns and recommendations regarding UEFI
11. Developer's Corner
The title of this section shouldn't scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a section for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial ideas, and general productivity issues. It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.
- Any DC members thinking of trying Kickstarter?
- JayIsGames: Casual Gameplay Design Competition #10 - Deadline Sep 3, 2012
- Online Python Tutor
- Random Question (About Hash Keys)
- Essays on Proper Storage of Site Passwords
- Help me think of a small ipad app idea to code
- In search of ... opinions on code snippet libraries
- 9 Signs Self-Publishing Is out of Control
- Play and Experiment with Code
- Liberated Pixel Cup - An Art and Game Development Challenge
- Someone may be maliciously using my domain name
- Another experiment in free software profit models from Bryan Lunduke
- AutoHotkey v2 & other changes
12. Hardware Hideout
Although most of our forum discussions are about software, there are always some interesting hardware and gadget threads popping up.