topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for July 9, 2012 - 100 Days of Summer Slumber  (Read 41087 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for July 9, 2012
"100 Days of Summer Slumber"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hello dear readers and greetings from Illinois, where I've been hiding out in my air conditioned bunker while the temperature outside breaks the triple digits.  It's been nearly 100 days since the last DonationCoder newsletter, so this is going to be a big one.  I apologize that it's taken so long to get this one out, and I promise it won't take so long to get out the next one.  The last time we talked we were just kicking off our March fundraiser, which turned out to be a wonderful success.  A huge thank you goes out to everyone who donated and cheered us on.  The fundraisers have such an invigorating effect on the site -- I can't overstate the morale boost they provide.  Thank you all.

On other news, we've been very steadily working on the transition to a new content management system for the website, which will make it a little easier for us to update and maintain content.  DC member Mitzevo is leading the project and the new site layout looks great.  Unfortunately, it's proving a not insignificant challenge that we have so many different esoteric areas of the website, so we still have quite a ways to go -- but that's the nature of the site so what can you do?  Ok enough rambling, onto the newsletter sections!

2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions.  In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.

3. Mouser's Software Updates and Discussions

Since the last newsletter there have been a bunch of updates to my software, some minor, some major.

4. Skwire Empire Updates and New Releases

DC member Skwire has been unstoppable on the Coding Snacks area of our forum -- writing new freeware utilities on request, and constantly releasing updates for his existing tools.  Lots of new updates this month, plus one big new one for comic book archive readers:

5. Other Coding Snacks and Member Projects

The Coding Snacks section is one of the things that people love the most about DonationCoder -- it's where anyone can post a request for a custom piece of software -- and often find the requests granted overnight by one of the coders who inhabit the forum (like DC members Ath, MilesAhead, c.gingerich, 4wd, and others).

6. Mini-Reviews

In the past few years we've drifted from larger reviews to user-written mini-reviews, and we've had quite a few posted since the last newsletter.

7. Fun, Humor, and Amusements on the Web

You've made it half way through the newsletter, so let's have a break.  Go make yourself a lemonade, and check out these fun websites and videos!

8. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the DC forum take the form of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. These posts wind up in the General Software Discussion section and make it one of the most active sections of the DC forum. This is a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware-related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we split the recent content into two sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

9. Specific Software Discussion and Software Services

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

10. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out...

11. Developer's Corner

The title of this section shouldn't scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a section for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial ideas, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

12. Hardware Hideout

Although most of our forum discussions are about software, there are always some interesting hardware and gadget threads popping up.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:59 PM by mouser »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for July 9, 2012 - 100 Days of Summer Slumber
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:22 AM »
Thanks for this  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Somehow the domain that the newsletter sends out from (donationcodernews.com) wasn't set to autorenew and briefly expired last week.  That means that some percentage of recipients of the newsletter never got it.  Sorry!  The domain is back now so all should be good going forward.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Speaking of, for the second time - that I remember - gmail sent it to my spam

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Speaking of, for the second time - that I remember - gmail sent it to my spam

+1
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I wish i could do something about google and yahoo sending the newsletter to spam, but as you might expect, big companies like that don't care about us or what we want.  It's their world and they make the rules.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26 PM »
It's their world and they make the rules.
I would figure that it's not really their option, but maybe many people receiving the newsletter have moved it to spam and google/yahoo assumed that everyone else considers it spam too?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31 PM »
It's their world and they make the rules.
I would figure that it's not really their option, but maybe many people receiving the newsletter have moved it to spam and google/yahoo assumed that everyone else considers it spam too?

And it becomes a self-perpetuating problem as people that receive it have it moved to spam without realizing it, so don't move it back (I've been guilty of that)...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55 AM »
It didn't go into my spam box in Gmail.

Thanks for the newsletter!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:53 AM »
And it becomes a self-perpetuating problem as people that receive it have it moved to spam without realizing it, so don't move it back (I've been guilty of that)...
Yes, moving it even once to the spam box sounds like a sort of "death sentence" for an email :/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55 AM »
the spam thing is because of the wording of the extra sentence: "100 days of summer slumber" -may sound like an invitation to something else..., you know. My trusted contacts will also be spam-classified if they use ambiguous words of such kind. I read my emails online on my ISP ("Internet service provider") account, and I actually have two emails in my spam folder, send from my ISP and blocked by my ISP!!  
:'(

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I wish i could do something about google and yahoo sending the newsletter to spam, but as you might expect, big companies like that don't care about us or what we want.  It's their world and they make the rules.
  Tis why I only use my POP3 service on my ISP.  Most all are completely configurable in how they treat your email, right down to a whitelist.....

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04 AM »
  Tis why I only use my POP3 service on my ISP.  Most all are completely configurable in how they treat your email, right down to a whitelist.....

You can whitelist things on most webmail providers also.  It's just knowing that you need to whitelist...

...and I know from experience that ISPs can ban addresses too and you never know that it was banned.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00 AM »
Somehow the domain that the newsletter sends out from (donationcodernews.com) wasn't set to autorenew and briefly expired last week.  That means that some percentage of recipients of the newsletter never got it.  Sorry!  The domain is back now so all should be good going forward.

Just saw it in my RSS Feed - didn't get email...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 05:20 AM »
Just saw it in my RSS Feed - didn't get email...
I've forwarded it to you, in case you want to archive it :)

Muadib

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Hi guys!

Thank you mouser for the Newsletter!

I was quite concern with the lack of them. I was afraid that something bad could have happened to this community. Phew! I am glad that it was just a glitch  :)

Do I need to do anything to receive the next one or everything might be as it were before? I check all the time my spam folder and nothing was sent to there.

All the best.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 04:09 PM »
thank you muadib -- you are all set and should receive the next newsletter which should go out next week as soon as i get back in town reinvigorated with dc spirit after visiting family.