ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Borland C++ Builder Contest

Entering SMIRF 8x8 + 10x8 Chess Program

(1/14) > >>

Smirf:
SMIRF

I just have changed my SMIRF program to become a pure donationware program. So some pieces of text might still mention 'shareware,' where now 'donationware' is meant. Also some parts of its documentation still have to be translated into English. Nevertheless the program is beta yet, it should work.

Regards, Reinhard.

P.S.: Beta tester feed backs are welcomed !

P³.S.: Now an always actual download (~1.7 MB) could be found at my page:

http://www.chessbox.de/Compu/schachsmirf_e.html

At problems with SMIRF first try to delete the local SmirfGUI.ini file once.

mouser:
ive changed the attachment size to 8mb so you should be ok to upload it as one file which will make it easier for people.

mouser:
looks beautiful by the way!

mouser:
can you tell us a little bit about the program smirf?

as i understand it, it is a program that does a coupld of things - it can play a game of chess human vs computer but not just standard chess boards - but a whole bunch of test problems that involve different sized boards and starting positions.

it can also playback games and stuff.

can you give us some more background and other information that might be useful to know?

i know some chess experts, i'll ask them to come by and check it out.

Smirf:
SMIRF tries to make a minimal approach to program chess and some variants like Chess960 (FRC) or 10x8 CRC (Capablanca Random Chess), which as supersets somehow compatibly contain traditional chess (that is what I name the FullChess approach). Its engine is small and currently sized 60 KB only, despite this one engine covers all those variants. SMIRF actually attempts to cover the opening stage without using huge looking up knowledge like opening books or endgame table bases. Thus it actually is recommended to play Chess960 or CRC to get different games.

SMIRF's strength currently seems to be about the Crafty level. Being my first approach to write a playing chess program, there will be of course some weaknesses and details to be improved. It uses an own public communication protocol between engine and GUI called TMCI (Third Millenium Chess Interface), which is subject to be modified if other programmers would be interested to also use it.

SMIRF is able to store and load games as PGN, cut and paste it and also positions as X-FEN. It enables PGN games to be commented, but does not (yet) support variant game lines. It has several playing timing levels. If the automatic answering is switched off, you could enter move series without having the engine answer. The gaits of the special 8x10 pieces Archbishop and Chancellor will be shown by marked squares. It is recommended to have the online hints be activated during first time. You could choose one of four languages: Eng, Ger, Fra, Swe. GothicChess actually is not supported directly, because I still have not received Ed Trice's license he promised me. Nevertheless in edit mode you could set up any starting array and switch castling rights by simply clicking at the rooks' file letters.

This here is my attempt to test, whether the distribution form as a donationware would give me sufficient support or not. If not, the project will be continued as shareware.

Regards, Reinhard.

P.S.: There also are a lot of interesting things at my homesite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version