ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dropbox Chat Client

(1/1)

BillB:
Hi

Does anybody know of Windows(7) software which could act as a Chat client for Dropbox?  By which I mean, it monitors a designated file (txt, xml?) in Dropbox on your local drive, pops up a notification from the system tray when it is modified, and sequentially displays entries, with some form of ID (name) against each entry.

I would have thought that many such applications have been made over the years for use on networks.  In theory it ought to be a pretty simple program, but the only thing I have found so far is for Macs http://chatboxapp.com/

Suggestions welcome.  :)

Jibz:
While possible, wouldn't it be simpler to use one of the already existing chat networks like irc, messenger, google/facebook chat?

BillB:
Probably so, if I subscribed to any of them.  I try to minimise subscriptions and I am taken by ChatboxApp's promises:

*    Use it for commenting and annotating files OR for simple project collaboration around folders with relevant files inside!
*    It works offline and syncs whenever you're next online.
*    Chatbox stores everything inside Dropbox. You don't need to register another account.
*    It is FREE! It is simple. It just works!
But thanks for the suggestion, it may prove to be the best option, particularly if its the only option!

Bill

wraith808:
Interesting idea... I never have the time to follow through on these things, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version