Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 04:21:40 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dropbox Chat Client  (Read 1042 times)
BillB
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »

Hi

Does anybody know of Windows(7) software which could act as a Chat client for Dropbox?  By which I mean, it monitors a designated file (txt, xml?) in Dropbox on your local drive, pops up a notification from the system tray when it is modified, and sequentially displays entries, with some form of ID (name) against each entry.

I would have thought that many such applications have been made over the years for use on networks.  In theory it ought to be a pretty simple program, but the only thing I have found so far is for Macs http://chatboxapp.com/

Suggestions welcome.  smiley
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »

While possible, wouldn't it be simpler to use one of the already existing chat networks like irc, messenger, google/facebook chat?

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
BillB
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »

Probably so, if I subscribed to any of them.  I try to minimise subscriptions and I am taken by ChatboxApp's promises:

•    Use it for commenting and annotating files OR for simple project collaboration around folders with relevant files inside!
  •    It works offline and syncs whenever you're next online.
  •    Chatbox stores everything inside Dropbox. You don't need to register another account.
  •    It is FREE! It is simple. It just works!

But thanks for the suggestion, it may prove to be the best option, particularly if its the only option!

Bill
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »

Interesting idea... I never have the time to follow through on these things, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.024s | Server load: 0.13 ]