Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 22, 2014, 08:55:08 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Freehostia (Free Website Hosting)  (Read 1774 times)
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »

OK, this is literally a MINI review, but never-the-less, a review all the same.

Basic Info

Website NameFreehostia
Hosting PlanChocolate (Free)
Support MethodsNot much, just a basic e-mail support system
Upgrade PolicyLive upgrades paid yearly
Pricing SchemeFree & Premium
Relationship btwn. Reviewer and Product None...

Intro:

Freehostia are a free website hosting service.

Who is this designed for:

People who want free website hosting

The Good

Its free
1 free database.

The needs improvement section

You are HEAVILY limited to the number of concurrent connections to your website, dependent on the current server load (Regardless of how your website is using the server), I e-mailed their support about this, and got the following reply:

Hello,

The number of concurrent users limit depends a lot of the server load. The paid accounts do not have such restriction. You can resolve the issue by upgrading the account.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

I found this out, after a friend mentioned he could not connect.  Bare in mind, this is a forum, SMF to be precise, so I can see how many people are online at any one time...and that number was ONE...ME! - So basically, I have a forum hosted there, what nobody can view, if I happen to have a tab open for that domain.

Why I think you should use this product

I don't...I am writing this, mainly, to tell you, if you want website hosting for free...Look elsewhere

How does it compare to similar apps

Couldn't tell you, not tried any other 'Free' hosting services before, and to be honest, I'm in no hurry to go through this again.

Conclusions

Find a different provider.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:05 PM »

Conclusions

Thanks for the warning, Stephen thumbs up huh

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

Conclusions

Thanks for the warning, Stephen thumbs up huh

I hate to be so blunt, but I ran like hell after finding out this piece of information.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »

Let me start by saying the web hosting marketplace seems a den of fishiness.

BUT having said that, I'm slightly uncomfortable with such a mean negative attitude towards a company offering free hosting..

I don't doubt that they may have unrealistic limits on the number of simultaneously connections, but somehow the limit you described seems too bad to be true, like their might be some more innocent explanation why the connection limit was reached in your case.

Regardless, I just think we should save our mean comments for people and companies that are deliberately trying to exploit people -- and when in doubt, the benefit of the doubt would be a more appropriate attitude.

I can just imagine someone trying to do a reasonable thing by providing free hosting and coming across a post like this and feeling like they were not treated fairly, and I'd have a hard time disagreeing with them.  Though I do respect the fact that you emailed them about it and got a pretty unsatisfactory answer..

Just my 2 cents -- obviously I don't know anything about this company -- they might be good people they might be bad people, i have no idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.13 ]