ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Volume Mixer for programs (for annoying web pages!?)

(1/2) > >>

skywalka:
Hi guys.

I visited a website recently which had annoying music on every page.  Even more annoying was when I had multiple pages of this site open by using Maxthon's tabs.  I know that sound can be disabled by IE but I don't want to lose the sound of every page I visit.

This got me thinking.  Why isn't a web browser volume control available in the Windows Volume Control?  Then I thought why isn't there a Volume Control that allows you to control the volume of any program on the computer?

Maybe this is possible?

noth(a)nk.you:
This might be telling to one with more experience than I:

...if you used DirectSound (or DirectShow, which is layered on DirectSound), you could render your audio streams into a secondary buffer, since DSound secondary buffers had their own volume controls, that effectively makes their volume control per-application.   But it doesn't do anything to help the applications that don't use DSound, they're stuck with manipulating the hardware volume.-Larry Osterman's WebLog
--- End quote ---

See the rest of it here.

Some shareware hopefuls here.

skywalka:
That Vista link looks like they may address the problem in the next Windows.

That shareware site pointed me to a program that does exactly what I suggested.

http://www.indievolume.com/

Thanx!

mouser:
nice find skywalka!

still might be a nice snack to make a free program that does something similar to what IndieVolume does.

skywalka:
It is $20 after a month trial.

The main window contains the options & settings in 1 place.  Expandable/Collapseable entries in the GUI would be optimum because there are situations when you want to compare settings.

I think it could be better integrated with the existing volume controls.  They are still seperate.

I was hoping that it would be possible to just add a new control (eg Maxthon) to the existing Windows Volume Control like some sound card drivers do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version