ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do I turn off image attachment previews in Gmail?

(1/4) > >>

daddydave:
In the past week, I've started getting a lot of spam that doesn't get sent to my Spam box, and it comes with photo attachments that I don't want to see. Gmail filters out images automatically if they are inline HTML img tags but since these are attachments, it always shows them. I can't find a setting within Gmail (web version) to have it not show the previews. Maybe there is a user script or add-on for this?

IainB:
I can't help re hiding or not displaying the images.
However, you apparently only have the problem in the first place because you have some new spam which is not being sent to the Spam folder. So that probably suggests where you need to focus your attention.
Probable quickest solution: If you just ensure that you flag each new spam item as spam, Gmail "learns" what is spam, and will pick things up from there and you should progressively find that these spam emails no longer appear in your inbox.
Try it and see.

daddydave:
Probable quickest solution: If you just ensure that you flag each new spam item as spam, Gmail "learns" what is spam, and will pick things up from there and you should progressively find that these spam emails no longer appear in your inbox.
Try it and see.
-IainB (July 09, 2012, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I have been doing that, but it seems each email is slightly different, so it might be hard even for Google to find a common pattern. Most of them seem to say something like "saw your profile" though, so maybe if I create a filter, that will help.

barney:
Gmail "learns" what is spam
-IainB (July 09, 2012, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well-l-l-l ... yes and no  :-\.  Gmail is pretty good, I'll grant, but it doesn't always recognize source URLs, and has a [bad] habit of not recognizing email subscriptions.  I'll see half-a-dozen to a dozen emails daily that should have come to my inbox.  I literally have to mine my spam folder to recover email that I need, e.g., software registrations, purchase acknowledgements, and the like  :(.  Daily review does help keep my spam folder emptied, though  ;).  (Oh, you're gonna say that it deletes all over thirty (30) days?  Not on my box(es)  :mad: :P.)

IainB:
Yes, it's not real learning. I deliberately put "learns" in quotation marks, because it doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.
My experience is that it does seem to work rather well on my incoming spam. In fact, it's very impressive!
It doesn't catch spam from hacked email accounts, though (how could it?).
By the way, as an information aid I also have this turned on in my Labs: Authentication icon for verified senders. Every little bit helps...

I suspect that @daddydave will have to develop some extra-cunning filters for his spam. In the past I spent hours, and got a headache from exercising my brain a bit and setting up some tricky filtering. That included breaking some rules - e.g., by filtering on labels. Filters seem to be applied sequentially (in ascending order of date of creation, or something), so it doesn't always work out the way you might have hoped it would. The design of Gmail filtering is not really as helpful/flexible as it could be, but I guess it was designed that way for a reason - probably to limit how much the user could screw things up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version