ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is there a Firewall with a quick toggle per program, to open/close connection?

(1/5) > >>

nudone:
I use NetLimiter 3 Pro as firewall. This allows me to open and close connections per application - which I find very handy when testing local (wamp) versions of websites. I need to block my "development" brower's outbound connections to reassure myself that the site I'm testing is using the correct URLs.

The slight problem with this setup is that I tend to swap between live and local versions of the sight whilst fixing issues, which means I have to keep toggling the open/blocked connection of the browser. This wouldn't annoy me if it were just a quick click a single button process - but, instead, it requires four or more clicks (six or more if I have to go into the tray to open NetLimiter).

So, my question is:

Is there a firewall that has a quick single click type open/close connection button for each program it is monitoring. Even better would be something that allowed for creating a (desktop) shortcut that activated the toggle.

My request is for a toggle button thing per connected program - NOT a global type firewall block to disconnect all current connected programs.

Thanks.

4wd:
Does NetLimiter work as a replacement for Windows Firewall or can it run in conjunction with it?

You could, (in theory), use the netsh advfirewall firewall command along with Ath's WinButton program to control specific rules in Windows Firewall, some netsh examples are shown here:

How to use the "netsh advfirewall firewall" context instead of the "netsh firewall" context to control Windows Firewall behavior in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Vista

nudone:
I think NetLimiter works okay alongside Windows Firewall. (My original use for NetLimiter was to mimic slow connections, I don't even really use it as a firewall except to block things in the way I mentioned above. My "real" firewall is the one built into Windows... 7.)

Thanks for the link, 4wd. That looks like it could do just what I need.

4wd:
If you could get it to toggle the profile of the program, (eg. Public->Private, Private->Public), that should do what you want but it's probably going to take a little experimentation to get it right.

This might be a better link for syntax: Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Commands

An alternative way would be create a rule that only allows, say Firefox, access to Private IPs:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="nudone hatez netz" dir=out program="C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox.exe" action=allow profile=private enable=yes

And then to allow it to access the internet, just disable the rule:
netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="nudone hatez netz" dir=out program="C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox.exe" new enable=no

To disable internet access, enable the rule:
netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="nudone hatez netz" dir=out program="C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox.exe" new enable=yes

Above commands tested working....finally  :)

nudone:
Ah, I see, that looks good. Thanks, 4wd, I'll experiment later today and report back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version