ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

It's official: Microsoft discontinuing Windows Home Server

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
[1]  Although they don't use the PDC/BDC terminology any more, it's still actually the way the domain operates internally. At any given time, one DC is still designated the Primary, and because that server isn't working right, I can't get it to surrender control to the new one. And the new one, since it can't sync changes to the old one, refuses to accept more domain members, etc.-CWuestefeld (July 10, 2012, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming the 2nd DC was joined to the 1st DC's domain, have you tried transfering/sezing the FSMO roles? Either that or just demote the 1st DC to a member server to force the issue. Assuming of course that AD is intact. I've had to deal with a few crunchy transfers ... It's usually save-able as long as DNS is working properly.

40hz:
So my plan was to trash all the needless complexity, and use WHS for what I expected to be a more straightforward configuration.

Anybody have better suggestions for running a house-wide network with decent security?
-CWuestefeld (July 10, 2012, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there any reason your plan has changed?  I ask because my plan was to do the same thing... and with 40's announcement, I have it in my newegg cart... didn't see a downside to using it even if they discontinue it.
-wraith808 (July 10, 2012, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that I've come out of mourning, I have to agree. The current announcement says it will remain available through the end of 2013. And I would assume Microsoft will continue to provide security updates for the usual 5-year wind down period afterwards, so it shouldn't be a problem for the foreseeable life of your server.

My problem is that I liked it for small home/service based businesses and startup advocacy and similar groups. Now that it's been tombstoned, I really can't in good conscience spec it for a business client. But for home service it will probably be just fine for the next 5 years. @$50/ea it's still an excellent deal for that type of deployment.

8)

40hz:
[1]  Although they don't use the PDC/BDC terminology any more, it's still actually the way the domain operates internally. At any given time, one DC is still designated the Primary, and because that server isn't working right, I can't get it to surrender control to the new one. And the new one, since it can't sync changes to the old one, refuses to accept more domain members, etc.-CWuestefeld (July 10, 2012, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming the 2nd DC was joined to the 1st DC's domain, have you tried transfering/sezing the FSMO roles? Either that or just demote the 1st DC to a member server to force the issue. Assuming of course that AD is intact. I've had to deal with a few crunchy transfers ... It's usually save-able as long as DNS is working properly.
-Stoic Joker (July 10, 2012, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

The fact he can't sync gives me pause about demoting a DC to a member server since that suggests there's a problem somewhere in the AD. Or possibly DNS if somebody buggered adjusted the DNS configuration after the initial install.

@CW - +1 w/Stoic. Transferring the FSMO roles (or seizing them if necessary) is definitely the approach I'd try first. Take a look at KB255504 and also KB324801 if you're not up on FSMO roles and how to view and/or transfer them.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
The fact he can't sync gives me pause about demoting a DC to a member server since that suggests there's a problem somewhere in the AD. Or possibly DNS if somebody buggered adjusted the DNS configuration after the initial install.
-40hz (July 10, 2012, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

True ntdsutil cleanups are not any fun if one gets stuck with an orphaned server object ... But that part was mainly probative as I was assuming a (classic misconfiguration involving ISP DNS servers) DNS issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version