ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

NoteTab 7 editors released

<< < (3/6) > >>

cyberdiva:
 I was all set to reply to Tuxman's and Jibz's assumption that a $40 text editor is likely to be of interest only to programmers, but I see barney has made some of the points that I too would have made.  I'm not a programmer, but I use my text editor (UltraEdit) every day and love the fact that it can handle all the formatting, searching (including using regular expressions), conversion to and from unicode, bookmarking, multiple undo, etc. that I ask of it.  Though I bought my copy of UltraEdit years ago, I'd certainly be willing to pay $40 or more for it if I were buying it today.  It's not just programmers who value and are willing to pay for a capable text editor.

fenixproductions:
It's not just programmers who value and are willing to pay for a capable text editor.-cyberdiva (July 09, 2012, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is the part which makes me wonder: what makes capable text editor?
I am not against paying for good software, I am just asking: what makes NT7 so special to buy it instead of getting some free solution or other payware (let it be UltraEdit, HippoEdit or - heck with that - even Dreamweaver).

superboyac:
It's not just programmers who value and are willing to pay for a capable text editor.-cyberdiva (July 09, 2012, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is the part which makes me wonder: what makes capable text editor?
I am not against paying for good software, I am just asking: what makes NT7 so special to buy it instead of getting some free solution or other payware (let it be UltraEdit, HippoEdit or - heck with that - even Dreamweaver).
-fenixproductions (July 09, 2012, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I had the exact same question, fenix.  Notetab was the first alternative editor I tried many years ago.  Didn't find much that was so special about it, except for their unique snippet or macro features.  But I can say the same about most of the text editors.  There are so many out there that I don't even want to know their features, I just want to know their unique features.  Like UltraEdit to me is the only one that has a built-in ftp that works smoothly.  Editpad has my favorite interface and searching abilities. hippoEdit has really cool visual stuff going on like color hover effects and nice code-folding and parantheses features.  There's that newer one (I forgot what it's called) where there's a kick-ass document preview portion on the side that I find too cool.

The question for me is always, why would I use one of these instead of the free and extremely capable Notepad++?  If you can answer that, the possibility of the wallet coming out is there.

rgdot:
Notepad++ and RJ Edit are probably enough for 95% of people, including programmers, but of course one may need or like one of the others.

For example (I am not a programmer but I do PHP, HTML and the like) recently Notepad++ has been throwing errors for me. So I use RJ Edit and it's fine and more than enough

barney:
The question for me is always, why would I use one of these instead of the free and extremely capable Notepad++?  If you can answer that, the possibility of the wallet coming out is there.
-superboyac (July 09, 2012, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

The answer to that question, of course, is personal preference.  It's like cars:  do you prefer a Ford or a Chevrolet, an Audi or a BMW?  That's why there is such a plethora of editors available.  It doesn't really matter what your preference might be, what matters is that you have a choice.  cyberdiva likes UltraEdit, that's her preference.  I like PSPad, TreePadX, NoteTab, depending upon what I need to do at the time.  All of these editors have their strengths, things they do better than any other editor.  So, ya pick the one (1) ya like, pay for it if need be, and go on yer merry way  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version