topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: InfoRecall - $5.99?!?!  (Read 29125 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: InfoRecall - $5.99?!?!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08 PM »
RightNote now allows Evernote sync of notes that you set to the "Evernote" type.

I haven't tested it yet to see how well it works, but it is there.

You can see it in the last two entries on their revision history http://www.bauerapps...ightNoteHistory.html

C
As an Evernote user who has also registered RightNote, I saw that, and I did test the new Evernote type very briefly, so take this as the kneejerk reaction it is.

I haven't figured out what value there is in using RightNote as a middleman, especially since you can only tag one note at a time in RightNote.  However it could indicate bigger plans ahead. Bear in mind that I use Evernote for a few different things, but I do a lot of web clipping probably more than anything else, something that RightNote does as well (Presumably you would not use the new Evernote feature for that case, since those notes are not Evernote notes.)

If you use Evernote, do you need RightNote? And vice versa?

It's easy enough to get notes into Evernote from the various Evernote add-ins and bookmarklets, with better formatting than I saw doing it from RightNote, and you can also use Simplify formatting in the Evernote software to clean up the format as well. Evernote has also realized you can use it as a Read it Later replacement, so now they have the Clearly add-on as another way to get notes into Evernote, except you have the option of selecting part of the page instead of having Read it Later tell you it can't save it because it is not an article. (Read it Later is now something else so I am not sure if this is still the case.) Evernote doesn't have a tree structure, but then again you can create a tree of tags in the Evernote client.

In RightNote, unless they've changed something, you have to find the branch of the tree and click on it before saving a note for the note to land in the right place: if clipping a note, it neither prompts for tags or for where in the tree it should go.

It would be cool if instead of a new Evernote type in RightNote, you could for example make a source code formatted note sync to Evernote.

Again this was my quick kneejerk reaction with limited testing (which means I probably shouldn't say anything. but oh well).

UPDATE (7/8): (sorry for steering the thread off topic)
For balance, a note from the author of RightNote about the new Evernote note type
Dear RightNote user,

I am writing this letter, to let you know about the latest release of RightNote, the new feature that it includes, and the Evernote Devcup.

As an introduction, let me tell you a little bit about Evernote. If you haven't heard of Evernote, well then it's about time that you did!

At it's core, Evernote is a note taking application similar to RightNote. You store notes in notebooks and can group them together with tags. What is unique and very attractive about Evernote is that you can access your notes from nearly any device or browser. Yes, that's right. Evernote work on Windows. It works on Mac. It works on iPhone and works on Android. It also works in any browser. Moreover your notes are stored in "the cloud", so you don't need to worry about backing up your notes. Evernote also has a very advanced search engine that allows you to search for text in any images in your notes. And then lastly, Evernote comes in a free version that gives you all of these features. (There is a premium version with additional features aswell.)

You can found out more about Evernote here: <http://www.evernote.com>

Ok.. so as a RightNote user, why am I telling you about all of this? Well, firstly because the latest version of RightNote now includes an Evernote note type and integration with Evernote. This means you can now create "Evernote" notes (i.e. notes of the "Evernote" note type) and then sync them up with your Evernote account (pro version) - and you can then access them from anywhere. (Not done yet, but on the to-do list is the ability to import notes from your Evernote account into a RightNote notebook. We also hope to add the ability to search for text in images of Evernote notes.)

One of the down sides of Evernote is that you are limited as to how much structure you can give to your notes. You are limited to group your notes by tag and notebook, and as you add new notes, your notes keep on moving around. As a RightNote user, I'm sure you'll appreciate the value and importance of being able to structure your notes in a logical and well organised tree structure (among the other features included in RightNote).

So with the new Evernote integration, you can have the best of both worlds: Access (selected) notes from anywhere via Evernote, and at the same time keep Evernote notes in a well organised tree structure.

Ok, but there is more to this. You see Evernote is not just a note taking application. It is actually a platform. What "platform" means, is that Evernote invites other developers to add Evernote capabilites to their own applications - just like RightNote has done. So by using Evernote, you are not only availing yourself to the features offered by Evernote itself, but to a whole host of other applications that integrate with Evernote aswell (some of them free, some of them with a free version, and some paid).

In fact, right now Evernote is running a competition (called Devcup) for developers the world over to add Evernote integration to their apps. In this way they will be able to offer added functionality to all of their users, with all the different application integrations.

You can find out more about the Evernote Devcup here: <http://devcup.evernote.com>

I encourage you to take a look at some of the applications. There is quite a broad range of different applications available. Some of them you may find to be useful for your own purposes aswell.

So lastly, we have entered RightNote into this competition as well. During the period of the competition (until the 23rd July) people can vote for their favorite submission. (At the end of the competition, the entry with the most votes will win the "People's Choice Prize".) In fact, every day during this period you have a chance to vote. Every day you can place another vote, and you can vote for more than one submission on the same day. (The only thing you can't do, is vote for the same submission more than once on the same day).

You can be sure, that if RightNote would be fortunate enough to win a prize, part of that would be invested into improving and further developing RightNote.

So I'm hoping you will take a look at this competition, see the great array of applications available, and also give RightNote your support. This will be very much appreciated indeed.

The RightNote submission can be found at:
<http://devcup.evernote.com/submissions/8561-rightnote-keep-your-evernote-notes-in-a-tree-outline>

Thank you for reading this long letter, and thank you for your support.

Best Regards
Rael Bauer

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:00 AM by daddydave »

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 07:03 PM »
InfoRecall is working well ♥

But I can understand how several issues are making people (including myself) assuming something is seriously wrong. One of the (many?) small issues is the path in the titlebar: "C:\Program Files x86\InfoRecall\Data".  Why on earth does it say so, when the real path is "F:\InfoRecall\InfoRecall 15.3 Portable\Data"? I guess Bionic71 was right, saying that InfoRecall isn't properly build to be portable! If 'you' take the deal, I think it might be "safest" to grab the traditional installer...

But as I started out, it also is a fine program!

It says "C:\Program Files x86\InfoRecall\Data".  because it is the virtual path where ThinApp captured InfoRecall.
You can check this by Open/Browse to this directory from InfoRecall, only from InfoRecall you can see it's files listed "C:\Program Files x86\InfoRecall\Data".
Your actual portable could reside anywhere, it will always show what you see now.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Now knowing it is originating from WMware / ThinApp, this sign at every launch makes more sense to me than it did the first times I launched the program, after having registered:

2012-07-07_021114.gif

Otherwise I would have continued to worry that it wasn't properly registered to me (my USB).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I have already stopped using InfoRecall; it launches unacceptable  s l o w .

Maybe today's bit is better (http://www.bitsdujou...ware/ultra-recall-2/)

video4315

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 02:57 PM »
I compared several freeform database programs in the past and settled on InfoSelect as the one most closely matching my needs.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
InfoRecall 2013
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Hmm... InfoRecall updated to version 2013: http://www.phantech.com/

2013-01-01_194227.gif
2013-01-01_194240.gif
2013-01-01_194059.gif
2013-01-01_194126.gif

and what's that about VAT normally being included, but not for a portable version:

2013-01-01_194522.gif

:tellme: