ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

InfoRecall - $5.99?!?!

<< < (4/7) > >>

daddydave:
I think all these PIM type applications that are not handling syncing with mobile devices well, are probably dying a slow death.

-Jibz (July 05, 2012, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. If you have a mobile device, then electronic notes are a replacement for paper notes. No point in not being able to take them with you.
-daddydave (July 05, 2012, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

When I agreed with Jibz's comment, I was about to say something to the effect that the demise of those applications can't happen soon enough, but I was afraid that sounded too harsh to the developers who have worked hard on these things. So this is more of a wish that more developers would consider this.

Well, then which PIM/Outliner is compatible with Windows and iOS/Android (or maybe Windows Phone if that's your flavor?) I have OneNote 2010 - had to put it in SkyDrive in order to sync with the Android OneNote app, which is OK but doesn’t sync all the time as it should; I have to manually sync it most of the time. And OneNote on the iPad/iPhone is terrible. I have an iPad and gave up on it for now. And I also have Evernote on all devices. But both OneNote and Evernote are great for notes, not so great as PIMs or outliners. Not like Ultra Recall was or InfoSelect. I don’t know of any serious PIMs that work across all those devices.

Thank you.

Jim
-J-Mac (July 05, 2012, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing all that satisfactory.

For note-takers, I just know of the ones you mentioned: OneNote and EverNote.

A note-taker to me is one-fourth of a PIM. The 4 Pillars of PIM are notes, tasks, contacts, and calendar. I was trying to get all four in one program and sync to mobile. But then all you have is Outlook, and that was probably an unrealistic expectation anyway. And I need multiple types of notes. My next device will be an Android, but I don't expect things to be any better than it was on my iPod Touch.

Curt:
In the (portable) InfoRecall folder there is an auto-created shortcut that is all wrong / mysterious:

"H:\EXTENSION_E\VMware\VMware ThinApp\Captures\InfoRecall\bin\InfoRecall 15.exe"

The link is "blind"; no such address.

When I closed InfoRecall the first time, having merely copied the Product Key and Build Number (in order to email them), I received this OLE-related error message:

-how the heck should the user check this?!!

-------

I have InfoRecall installed on a (slow) USB 2 stick, so it should launch quite slow.
However, it launches extremely slow.

Tested in a vm now this InfoRecall $5.99
Each installation gives you a unique ID key, you need to email support each time you install/reinstall.
You bought this curt?
If you bought the software you would want to backup/export a snippet from registry once registered.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Info\Info\2.1-Bionic71 (July 06, 2012, 05:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks  :up: , but at the moment I think I might just have wasted $6.
I am pleased VAT was included ;-)

Bionic71:
huh.. You know curt after I looked at your post, i downloaded portable version as well

What you have there is the build structure directory from VMware ThinApp, it's not the way to distribute files like they did.

I know this hence I have a personal license of VMware+ThinApp and used ThinApp heavily, I know ThinApp inside & out.
Using ThinApp this way means they would have a commercial license.. now.. they would need to sell alot of $5.99 InfoRecall's making up for ThinApp's licensee.

ThinApp commercial license = 7641,75 € incl. VAT
http://store.vmware.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_IE&SiteID=vmwde&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=108093800

If you now bought this and using portable version,
From "dir" bin of InfoRecall, if you ever delete this folder "InfoRecall" you would also need to contact support for a new product ID.
This is the ThinApp sandbox and contains all user settings.

If any updates of InfoRecall which I strongly doubt, you would also need to contact their support for a new ID of the portable version.
You dont just copy these sandboxes from one version to another.

Also this portable version was used using an older version of ThinApp.

J-Mac:
I haven't purchased it - and I probably won't! Like I said above, I already have a few too many in this category!!

Oh! I should have also mentioned Pierre Paul Landry's ambitious undertaking, InfoQube (formerly SQLNotes). That is a PIM in the true sense of the word, though like most I don’t believe it has - or will have in the foreseeable future - mobile versions available. Still it definitely deserves a good, hard look.

daddydave, I must add to your definition of a PIM as far as many users are concerned: A PIM should also have the ability to store any and all data that you consider important, and to make it easily retrieved when needed. Several of the users over on outlinersoftware.com use PIMs to manage their Windows files and folders; to collect and store all their research including web pages, entire web sites, bookmarks, papers, essays, articles, etc. Forexample, if Ultra Recall, InfoSelect, and the rest only handled tasks, calendar, contacts, and notes, they wouldn’t be in business very long! The term (acronym) PIM, for Personal Information Manager, at one time did pretty much cover only those four points you mentioned. In the last several years however PIM has been expanded to also cover a heck of a lot of other information that is important to the user.

Here's a decent thread that tries to distinguish between what many of the folks over at outlinersoftware.com consider to be outliners vs. "personal knowledge systems". (Many attempts at delineating between the specific terms of "outliner" and PIM):     http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/1522

Thanks!

Jim

Bionic71:
myBase 6 + Add-ons package
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/mybase-desktop-addons-pack/

It's ok to, awesome webscraper, where many fail myBase often works without a hitch.
New users will find myBase bit confusing working with and what all settings actually do, evaluate before buying.

Nice price for myBase but I'd still go with Ultra Recall or MyInfo, they're simply much better organized, there's no room for confusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version