topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cross Platform Development with MonoDevelop and GTK#  (Read 2748 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Cross Platform Development with MonoDevelop and GTK#
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:36 PM »
I've started some cross platform "learning", and am having a great time. Well, when I'm not freaking out and cursing because Apple is so <insert long string of profanity here /> and makes it impossible to download Xcode 4.2 on my iMac after 20 minutes or more of searching, but somehow I can do it on my Windows box after 20 seconds... or freaking at the Unity interface in Ubuntu as it's so utterly alien compared to any other desktop. But, other than those, it's been fun.

I've farted around with a few different things and done a quick port of Frackin' Reserve in MonoDevelop in C# that now runs on Mac OS X and on Linux. It's been pretty smooth with only a few learning curve hiccups that were nicely below my freak out threshold. :) (Which I'm sure everyone knows is pretty low. :P )

Anyways, just thought that I'd put it out there for anyone looking at cross platform stuff.

I must admit that GTK# is pretty clunky if you're used to Windows Forms, but it works. Layout and all that is a bit of a bitch, but if you fiddle around, you can get much better results than my quick hacks in Frackin' Reserve. (Been using it as a learning tool.)

I've put up the source code for Frackin' Reserve here:

https://github.com/R...inds/Frackin-Reserve

So, if anyone wants to have a quick peek, you can download it and compile it for Windows, Mac OS X or Linux straight up with no farting around and doing a truckload of idiotic configurations that nobody gives a rat's ass about. :D It's just nice and easy. :D Just the way I like it. :D

(I'm still farting around, and will be updating it shortly.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker