ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unity Desktop (Ubuntu)

<< < (4/5) > >>

40hz:
^ As I said earlier: If you like this sort of thing, you're all for it. If you don't, you don't.  ;)

mahesh2k:
I am sure you're surprised at the way with which I converted to HUD, I used to mock it a lot in the past.  :D

40hz:
HUD is probably the best thing Unity has going for it. That said, it looks almost exactly like Launchy and behaves very much like FARR in operation. Where it gains its power is in creating the appearance of being context aware. But that's not a great engineering achievement once you come up with an API and convince major software developers to incorporate it into their applications. Of course, with open software, somebody with sufficient resources like Ubuntu can simply put it in themselves, and then incorporate the customized app into their repositories. GPL specifically allows you to do that.

In the "old days" this used to be loosely referred to as "embedding hooks" in something. It's really nothing new. It's just implemented differently these days. Like much everything else when it comes to computers.

Old wine, new bottle, add a twist - and you're done! :Thmbsup: Thus what passes for technological "progress" is largely achieved.  

Which is one more reason why we need to get rid of software patents. 8)

mahesh2k:

Getting the Menu options in prompt was big improvement IMO.

app103:
Choose Ubuntu Classic when logging in and you won't have to deal with Unity. It will be like nothing changed. (that's what I did)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version