ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unity Desktop (Ubuntu)

<< < (2/5) > >>

justice:
There is no button... Nothing is obvious. I'd looked for bash - nada. And you can't browse any of the installed software - or at least not to run it. :(
-Renegade (July 05, 2012, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I meant the windows key on your keyboard, or super key if you're using mac I think

http://askubuntu.com/questions/21934/how-to-change-the-binding-of-windows-key-which-runs-unitys-dash

justice:
Here's how to want to start start the terminal:
* hit the Windows / Super key
* type: term
* press enter or click the icon

http://screencast.com/t/59VagZMPPL

It's not any different than Windows 7 really?

Renegade:
I already found it.

I was working on a larger screen before, but here:

Unity Desktop (Ubuntu)

The text was faded and smaller, and due to some bizarre reason, I had to sit farther away from the screen, so I didn't see it.

Still, it's quite awkward compared to other desktops. I suppose I just "don't get it".

mahesh2k:
You'll get used to it, if you stop resisting it. :D

Here's list of shortcuts for making things faster. I am using them and I feel way better than browsing menus and clicking on links.

You can invoke these shortcuts by holding windows key for more than 1 sec.

Also to browse the programs, click on the application tab in the bottom and filter the results by clicking on right sidebar.

Note that unity is based on gnome 3 shell, so if you use gnome3, things are pretty much the same but with more difficult stuff while finding things as there is no HUD on gnome.

40hz:
I've given it a one month long active workout.

My experience is no different than what has been published in reviews too numerous to cite.

If you like this sort of thing, you're all for it. If you don't like tinker-toy desktop metaphors with a 60s era Fisher-Price color scheme (hello Windows 8?), you don't like it.

As you might have guessed, I don't like it, want it, or need it.

And to Renegade's earlier point about "not getting it" I think he doesn't give himself enough credit. I think he suspects he didn't get it because - despite assurances from Unity's creators and advocates -  there isn't really anything special to "get." Much like Gertrude Stein famously said about Oakland California: "There is no there there."

Unity isn't a breakthrough. Nor does it offer any real innovation (so far) to the user experience. It's just a different way of doing things you can already do (often better) with established desktop environments.

And being 'different' largely for the sake of being different has never been a compelling argument to me.
 8)

P.S. I find it ironic that something that has caused so much division in the Ubuntu user community was christened with the name Unity. Makes me wonder if somebody behind it has a truly warped sense of humor.
 :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version