ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unity Desktop (Ubuntu)

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
Does anyone actually like Unity?

I needed to do some testing, and downloaded a more recent Ubuntu distro with Unity, and wow... hatred, loathing, and frustration. I really can't express just how much I hate Unity. I LOVE Enlightenment, but Unity? United in hiding everything perhaps. Took me forever to figure out how to get a terminal... sheesh... Is this where Windows 8 got some of it's bad ideas? :P

But seriously --- does anyone like it? If so, why? I'm curious. What is improved? What is actually useful in it? I can't see any good points in it. GNOME or KDE any day. :P

justice:
You had trouble pressing the windows button and typing 'term'?

nite_monkey:
Just jumping into unity without any documentation, and knowing that in older versions of ubuntu, pressing the super key did nothing, he probably didn't know that you could push it to open the "start menu." I don't like unity either. Thats why I installed the kde desktop on top of ubuntu (can't remember why, but there is a reason I'm not using the physical kubuntu distro.)

Renegade:
You had trouble pressing the windows button and typing 'term'?
-justice (July 05, 2012, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is no button... Nothing is obvious. I'd looked for bash - nada. And you can't browse any of the installed software - or at least not to run it. :(

Renegade:
Just jumping into unity without any documentation, and knowing that in older versions of ubuntu, pressing the super key did nothing, he probably didn't know that you could push it to open the "start menu." I don't like unity either. Thats why I installed the kde desktop on top of ubuntu (can't remember why, but there is a reason I'm not using the physical kubuntu distro.)
-nite_monkey (July 05, 2012, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Cripes... I see it now... It's faded and barely visible... Great example of how to abuse alpha transparency...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version