ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unity Desktop (Ubuntu)

<< < (3/5) > >>

db90h:
Few like Unity. I hate it, myself. It was a good *attempt* to unify a touch based interface with a traditional one, but it was a huge flop, IMHO. The ironic thing is that I've never even seen it deployed on touch screen devices, at least not yet.

mahesh2k:
I don't understand the divide. Canonical wants to experiment and they should. I don't understand what's wrong with it.

Unity has HUD which makes it more powerful. Gnome3 default shell has no HUD, so it's useless without HUD.

If you check ubuntuforums, many members are realizing this fact, atleast about HUD. As HUD makes unity cool. There is no comparison of unity if it's loaded with HUD. I don't know how come it is compared with Win 7 or 8. It has nothing close to these desktop.

40hz:
Canonical wants to experiment and they should. I don't understand what's wrong with it.
-mahesh2k (July 05, 2012, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's nothing wrong with experimenting as long as you don't insist large portions of your user community (remember: Linux is supposed to be about community) become unwilling guinea pigs while you thrash around trying to figure out how to develop a tablet oriented OS for a piece of hardware that allegedly doesn't exist yet.

Where Canonical really wants to go is fairly obvious. They want a piece of branded hardware, and will probably introduce one within the next year. Once they have that, you can expect Ubuntu to drop support for regular desktop users. They'll keep their server because they are now offering their own cloud solutions. But Shuttleworth is firmly convinced the future lies in tablet devices so it's only a matter of time before Ubuntu shifts its efferts in that direction.

Apple got where it was today by customizing a borrowed OS core and building their own proprietary device to run it. Why can't Ubuntu do the same?

Apologies if I sound so cynical towards Ubuntu. It's only because I am. :-\

8)

Tuxman:
I recently "tried" Unity (I needed to do some quick boot sector recovery and had no Debian live CD with me). Conclusion: A bloated, ugly version of the lovely WindowMaker with a bad "look" and no "feel". Ridiculous DE.

mahesh2k:
There's nothing wrong with experimenting as long as you don't insist large portions of your user community
--- End quote ---
Why are we blaming canonical for that? Unity was built on top of gnome3. It was gnome which started this new change,they enforced it, not canonical. Mark and canonical are only taking gnome3 ahead where gnome3 is stagnated with no further improvements. That said, there is nothing wrong with tablet UI's, afterall the days old desktop UI are outnumbered. I know, I used to mock from the other side, but after using it I feel way more comfortable than to click on button, open menu that takes entire screen space type UIs.
Where Canonical really wants to go is fairly obvious. They want a piece of branded hardware, and will probably introduce one within the next year. Once they have that, you can expect Ubuntu to drop support for regular desktop users. They'll keep their server because they are now offering their own cloud solutions. But Shuttleworth is firmly convinced the future lies in tablet devices so it's only a matter of time before Ubuntu shifts its efferts in that direction.
--- End quote ---
What's wrong with that too? They are not going to be walled garden like apple or windows, you and I both know that for sure. There is nothing wrong with canonical attempting for tablet. As for ditching desktop users, mark made his statement on future vision, so your assumption is nowhere near what He thinks about desktop. So that assumption about desktop is purely out of fear.

Apple got where it was today by customizing a borrowed OS core and building their own proprietary device to run it. Why can't Ubuntu do the same?Apologies if I sound so cynical towards Ubuntu. It's only because I am.
--- End quote ---
At one point we don't like unity being like apple UI and on another we like apple's minimalism? :D Why ubuntu has to do everything that apple does? Why ubuntu has to be what windows users want? I am damn sure now that HUD on windows and apple platform could have been praised but just because canonical released it, people are not talking about it. Why?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version