ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Used Software Can Be Sold, Says EU Court of Justice

<< < (3/7) > >>

ewemoa:
I don't know about the specifics for the current question, but IIUC, just because some company prints some text on some label, it doesn't automatically mean that what is printed there applies legally.  They can claim what they want, but that doesn't necessarily hold up -- at least that's my current understanding.

barney:
When you buy a book, you own the physical book, you can legally sell it if you want. First Sale doctrine applies.

But when you buy software, you never actually own it under US law. You have only bought for yourself a right to use it. The copyright owner still owns the software, so you can't sell it. First Sale doctrine doesn't apply because a first sale was never made.
-app103 (July 04, 2012, 10:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which puts a rather fine line in re ebooks.  Are they books?  Or are they software?

And just how does that affect the free [e]books that you can download from such sites as guttenberg.org?  Do they hold copyright on the electronic version of a public domain tome?  'Tis a troublesome coil, these copyright issues.  And the way copyright law is written, as I understand it, you can be taken to task for violating copyright by other than the copyright holder.

Aside:  should it be guttenberg.org, or gutenberg.org :-\?  Or was that a copyright issue  :P?

ewemoa:
I was just reading the following yesterday:

Misinterpreting Copyright - A Series of Errors

I haven't verified the points made in the piece, but it has sparked my interest to investigate further.

As I understand it, the piece has mostly to do with the U.S. -- don't have any clue about other countries.

barney:
Thank you  :Thmbsup:- and damn you :P! - for that link.  Now I'll be up for the rest of the night [hopefully] assimilating what is there.  Gonna ruin a [semi-]perfect alcoholic buzz with significant amounts of dark coffee  :(.  Hopefully, however, I'll benefit from your largesse  :up:.

Edvard:
Some saying software doesnt wear out.
-tomos (July 04, 2012, 02:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently, Intuit customer service does:

http://omgplzstfukthx.blogspot.com/2008/01/you-need-exe-fluid.html
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version