topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Error 451: The Government Has Censored This Content  (Read 21431 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Error 451: The Government Has Censored This Content
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 07:10 AM »
I'm not denying that.  What I'm saying is that people say that *he* meant the story to be about censorship, not that *I interpret the content of his writing to have themes of censorship* or something similar.  The two are *very* different- one being quite logical, and the other being quite abhorrent to me.

Maybe then he wasn't telling the whole context on what he meant when writing it. If it was just about the vacuousness of TV, it wouldn't include the big plot element of the Firemen teams wearing sexy Salamander jackets.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 05:28 AM »
...The Machine Stops is worth a read and available for download here.
[/i]. 8)
Meant to say thanks for this link. I had been looking for E.M.Forster's classic just recently - for my daughter actually. The link you provide is great, as it can give you a copy in several formats and for several different reading devices.
I was well into reading SF from the age of 9 or so, but I think I first met The Machine Stops as required reading in Eng.Lit. at secondary school. It is an excellent SF short story.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 06:25 AM »
Just saw that link now...

And they have "The Right to Read":

http://manybooks.net...uthors/stallman.html

Excellent essay. THAT should be required reading in secondary schools.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 06:56 AM »

When I originally read this I had not appropriately absorbed:

It was also possible to bypass the copyright monitors by installing a modified system kernel. Dan would eventually find out about the free kernels, even entire free operating systems, that had existed around the turn of the century. But not only were they illegal, like debuggers—you could not install one if you had one, without knowing your computer's root password. And neither the FBI nor Microsoft Support would tell you that.

Not even 10 years since publication and already people have been in a position to not (by default anyway) have administrative access on devices they purchase! (e.g. Android devices)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07 AM »

When I originally read this I had not appropriately absorbed:

It was also possible to bypass the copyright monitors by installing a modified system kernel. Dan would eventually find out about the free kernels, even entire free operating systems, that had existed around the turn of the century. But not only were they illegal, like debuggers—you could not install one if you had one, without knowing your computer's root password. And neither the FBI nor Microsoft Support would tell you that.

Not even 10 years since publication and already people have been in a position to not (by default anyway) have administrative access on devices they purchase! (e.g. Android devices)

It's terrifying just how much of "The Right to Read" has turned out to be truly prophetic.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07 AM »
We appear to be at the mercy of the strategy of organized groups convincing large numbers of ignorant folks to accept things which are then forced on the rest of us...Of course, we are also sometimes those ignorant folks...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 09:30 AM »
We appear to be at the mercy of the strategy of organized groups convincing large numbers of ignorant folks to accept things which are then forced on the rest of us...Of course, we are also sometimes those ignorant folks...

+1