topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android Tablets  (Read 15806 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android Tablets
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:05 AM »
I am wondering what are the latest features to look for in a tablet? My wife owns an original transformer and loves it. I am looking to get one for myself. I have not been paying too close attention to the tablet market so do not know what are the latest "specs" to look for. Are we still stuck on a 1Ghz Processor or have quicker processors been integrated into these devices? What about memory, connectivity, etc? I know the tegra3 is the latest graphics chipset.

Thoughts?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android Tablets
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Processors have gotten faster (up to 1.5 GHz if I remember correctly), but I think the smart move would be to wait till tablets are released running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS  v4.0). ICS will bring the ability for the OS to be hardware-accelerated so that should bring quite a performance boost.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:33 PM »
In addition to looking at the processor etc. one suggestion that is a recurring theme on some of the tablet related forums I've visited is to pick your apps 1st.  The tablet can be the fastest and prettiest one out there but if it doesn't do what you want it doesn't make a difference. 
Just an observation. 

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Processor speed really doesn't matter as much as from factor, connectivity and screen quality, which are the true differentiators between Android tablets.  There are trade-offs between how light and thin a tablet can be and what kinds of standard ports (HDMI, SD, USB, etc.) it can support, so the first thing to consider is whether it's more important to you to have something thin and light or something heavier with better I/O capabilities, and perhaps more rugged too.

Most high-end Android tablets today have 1280x800 screens, but both ASUS and Lenovo have announced 1920x1200 10" tablets for the 2nd quarter of 2012. I'd guess that by the end of the year, that will be standard for high-end Android tablets, particularly if the next iPad has 2048x1536 resolution, as rumored.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:43 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 while I'm here in Seoul. They seem quite nice. (A friend has an 8.9, and it's slick.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:56 PM »
My mistake -- my friend's is a 10.1. Anyways...

Just bought a 10.1. Very nice. ;D

And it comes with goodies that you can't get in other places, though I doubt I'll be able to use the DMB once I get back home. :P

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:15 AM »
I am looking at the transformer prime right now. It seems to have the best specs of current tablets. That said, I am not opposed to waiting a month or two. Would it be beneficial to wait right now? Are there any "killer new features" that are going to be available in upcoming hardware?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I am looking at the transformer prime right now. It seems to have the best specs of current tablets. That said, I am not opposed to waiting a month or two. Would it be beneficial to wait right now? Are there any "killer new features" that are going to be available in upcoming hardware?

Killer? Yes! The ability to go cashless and completely digital, allowing the potential of having your entire life destroyed in a keystroke by some faceless bureaucrat. :)

Samsung is coming out with a new line called the "Galaxy Note", which you might want to look at. I've seen the Galaxy Note phone, and it's slick.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 while I'm here in Seoul. They seem quite nice. (A friend has an 8.9, and it's slick.)

what's the advantage of buying in Seoul? are there any added features?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:13 PM »

what's the advantage of buying in Seoul? are there any added features?

It comes with DMB and it isn't hacked up due to patent issues.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45 AM »
I haven't done any research on tablets, but the overall mood in the air for me is that this is still the "luxury" market, with the same "ramp up" feel of PC's in the early 90's. I try to get value in my tech purchases that will last me for years, and the impression I get from the tablet buzz is that this is about one generation too early for lasting value.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I haven't done any research on tablets, but the overall mood in the air for me is that this is still the "luxury" market, with the same "ramp up" feel of PC's in the early 90's. I try to get value in my tech purchases that will last me for years, and the impression I get from the tablet buzz is that this is about one generation too early for lasting value.

Perhaps. It all depends.

I primarily use my tablet to get away from my desk, e.g. go outside for a smoke & read news, lay on the couch & read, stay mobile when I'm Skype video chatting with people so that I can stumble into the kitchen and fix myself another vodka or whiskey. :P

I picked mine up for KRW 700,000, but I expect that we'll see that drop to much better levels in the next couple of years or so.

I generally wait until the markets start to mature a bit before I jump in with few exceptions. We just got our first DSLR in 2010.

For the tab, it's not really going anywhere for me anytime soon as I really only read on it and little more. Reading is unlikely to have any required updates. :D So, that's what drew me in there instead of going with the "wait & see" attitude this time.

But, everyone has a different perspective on what they'd like to do/accomplish. Mine are simply very basic.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:39 PM »
what's the advantage of buying in Seoul?
Might have a Seoul patch…

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28 AM »
My wife has an android tablet, the ASUS Transformer TF101. She loves the device. It is a great way to do some small gaming, read her kindle books, browse an occasional web page or two, and not have the laptop with her. It is very portable and is a great device. I want to get one to match. My daughter absolutely loves it which also has me pursuing a "Child proof" tablet, or one which is semi-childproof.

For my tablet, I want to ensure that it is capable of the latest Android OS (4.0). So, with that said, are there any new features worth holding out for or would the TF201 Transformer prime be a worthwhile investment?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 04:25 PM »
I believe that the TF101 has ICS (4.0) available for it now. You may not want to get the TF201. There have been widespread reports of the unibody design interfering with its ability to get steady wireless and GPS connections.

YMMV with the TF201.

I'm looking forward to the next Transformer, but I'm not sure what they're calling it right now. TF700? TF300?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19 PM »
It's called the Infinity: http://eee.asus.com/...r-infinity/features/ :D

Weird. I went looking for the information on ASUS's website and all I got was a link to a blank page.

Looks like there's also going to be one just called the Transformer Pad (TF300).

I like the Royal Blue color of the Transformer Pad, but the WiFi version of the Tranformer Pad Infinity has better specs.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:24 PM by Deozaan »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 05:28 PM »
The diff is in the display. The TF300 has 1280x800, like the TF101, and the Infinity/TF700 has a resolution of 1920x1200. That's the main reason for me to want the Infinity/TF700. This page might help you make a choice.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50 PM »
The diff is in the display. The TF300 has 1280x800, like the TF101, and the Infinity/TF700 has a resolution of 1920x1200. That's the main reason for me to want the Infinity/TF700. This page might help you make a choice.

I want the Infinity, but in the TF300's Royal Blue color. I don't really like the Purple/Gold colors of the Prime/Infinity.

I love that dark blue color!

eeepad-tf300-blue-gallery-4-hero.jpgAndroid Tablets

I've also noticed that the TF300 still has the unibody design. So it makes me wonder if it, too, will have the wireless/GPS connectivity issues that plague the TF201.

eeepad-tf300-blue-gallery-7-hero.jpgAndroid Tablets
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:57 PM by Deozaan »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Those ASUS tabs look mighty sexy! I really do like the "transformer" idea there.

I bought a separate keyboard for mine:

http://www.samsung.c...R-K14AWEGSTA-gallery

But I do like the ASUS ones there better. The "shell" feature is just slick.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 05:38 AM »
I picked mine up for KRW 700,000, but I expect that we'll see that drop to much better levels in the next couple of years or so.

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever root your tablet?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 10:09 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever root your tablet?

No. I only read on it and every now and then play around with deploying some software experiments. I'm more interested in using it than hacking it. I'm getting a couple Raspberry Pis to hack around with, and I already bugger around with my other computers. My tablet is really just a glorified reader for me. The thing I like is that I can put anything I want on it and not fart around with iTunes or some other POS that restricts what I can do.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07 AM »
Thanks for the response.

One problem I have with these devices is that without root you aren't guaranteed the ability to backup / restore the data / settings generated by the apps on it.  I am thus wary of creating data in this context...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:37 AM »
Thanks for the response.

One problem I have with these devices is that without root you aren't guaranteed the ability to backup / restore the data / settings generated by the apps on it.  I am thus wary of creating data in this context...

It looks pretty easy to root:

http://forum.xda-dev...wthread.php?t=812367

http://www.xda-devel...axy-tab-10-1-xda-tv/

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 02:57 AM »
It was easy -- however, for a non-U.S. model I used a different procedure (also found on xdadevelopers).

Luckily it was a matter of placing a zip file on the device (worked via download directly, no PC necessary) and then using some appropriate button holding while powering on followed by choosing some menu items appropriately :)  Thank goodness for this simple procedure...the HTC Legend OTOH, the procedure there is quite a nightmare.

FWIW, when I said "these devices" I meant Android devices as a whole, not trying to single out Samsung ones in particular.