topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: idea: find files not in both folders  (Read 6536 times)

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
idea: find files not in both folders
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:23 PM »

Duplicate file finders are a dime-a-dozen: how about a "non duplicate" file finder?

The gist is:  Given two (or more???) folders. Scan the folders and identify those files that are in one folder or the other, but not both.  Generate a list.  Ideally some mechanism would then allow the selective transfer/copy of those files from the folder which contains them to the folder that doesn't or optionally to another specified folder. A file pattern mask might also be useful.  subdirectory recursion, too.

This is one of those program ideas for which the requiremets are obvious when I need to have it, but, I'm not reallly sure I can identify, at this moment,all the uses for this (beyond standard synchonization of folders that is) I'll post more when it comes to me... :D

Chuck
Chuck Brotman

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: idea: find files not in both folders
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Not sure if this will do everything you want but is sure comes close.

It is a free program called allwaysync found at www.allwaysync.com

It is a directory sync program but you can invoke filters to get just the output you want ie non-duplicates. You can then tell it what to do with the files and/or do nothing if you are just comparing. Very powerful. Can see  if time/date stamps match ect.

Allway Sync Features   
Free for personal use synchronization software. No spyware, adware or malware.
Easy-to-use graphical interface.
Performs true bi-directional and n-way file and folder synchronization, forget about backup and restore routines.
File modifications and deletions are tracked in a local database. So, Allway Sync knows the true history of your files - no unnecessary questions asked.
Our innovative, proprietary algorithms do not rely on the accuracy of the system clock or network connection quality. So, Allway Sync helps prevents data loss.
Generates a full report of differences between synchronization folders.
Synchronizes folders as well. Allway Sync detects when folders are removed from one device and removes them from any other corresponding synchronization targets.
Supports virtually any file system (FAT, NTFS, SAMBA, Netware, X-Drive, CDFS, UDF and more).
Can be installed on a desktop, laptop, USB stick, external HDD or a U3-enabled device (see details).
Capable of synchronizing more than two folders.
Synchronize data between your desktop PCs and laptops over a network.
A good way to backup and restore files if you run Allway Sync in one-way mode.
Specify independent synchronizarion parameters for any number of sets of folders (multiple jobs).
Transfer documents from one computer to another using an intermediate removable drive.
Or just synchronize with a removable device (USB key, flash drive, CDRW, Zip) so that you always have your data with you.
Flexible configuration and customization.
Supports files of any size.

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a try!

;D

Best Regards,

Chuck
Chuck Brotman

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:01 AM »
A bit late, but FWIW, NirSoft's SearchMyFiles seems to do this.  The aforementioned web page has a screenshot that doesn't show the feature -- in the version I'm using, there's a drop down named "Search Mode" (above the Base Folders drop-down) that allows one to select from among "Standard Search", "Duplicates Search", and "Non-Duplicates Search".

I've been using the feature to verify that some ISOs I made have the same content I started with (ISOs were mounted using PortableWinCDEmu)  :up: