topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: history to remember command parameters too  (Read 3778 times)

mastabog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
history to remember command parameters too
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Currently this doesn't appear to work .. am I missing something?

If it's not clear, I'd like the command parameters that I add using ++ to be remembered in the history for next time I bring FARR up. I am now indexing batch scripts (.cmd, .bat) and bash scripts (.sh - using msys) too and would save me so much time to be able to save command parameters in history so I can relaunch it quickly. I have lots of scripts I wrote, many taking parameters. It would turn FARR into almost a cool console with command history, like bash. Now I'm forced to create another script to pass those parameers to the initial script .. or to open a command console and type the parameters there by hand.

This is why I STILL use Launchy (it does have this feature, but lacks so many others) and I keep going back to FARR to check when a new version arrives.

Cheers

p.s. i see it was requested a long time ago here: https://www.donation....msg247160#msg247160

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: history to remember command parameters too
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Longer answer later, but quick answer now:

You can scroll through recent launch history with ctrl+up and ctrl+down; this will recall any commandline params you add.

Of course this is only useful for recent history and is not a full answer to your request -- but it's a useful feature if you didn't know about it.

mastabog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Hi mouser,

Thanks for replying. Indeed I didn't know about ctrl-up/down, which seems to work. As you say however, it's not quite what I was talking about. When pressing ctrl-up/down you see only one entry and no actual history at all. It would be great if the list of entries that appears by default when bringing up FARR was showing entries with any parameters passed and allow me to re-run it with the same parameters.

Any chance for this to be implemented?

Cheers.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:46 AM »
It would be great if the list of entries that appears by default when bringing up FARR was showing entries with any parameters passed and allow me to re-run it with the same parameters.

this is on my todo list, stay tuned.

although this is not quite the same, you can also try typing: historys

this shows the history of recent launches (and would show commandline options) that you browse through when you hit ctrl+up and ctrl+down.