ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button

<< < (2/9) > >>

Cloq:
Hm.. wonder how support is going to tell a Win8 user that they need really reboot/power cycle what not their machine because the OS basically needs to clear anything that may be borked in memory.

The next gen of Windows (business/office) users are going to be very interesting.. it's hard enough right now trying to get them to understand that icons on the desktop aren't your applications...

Yah.. pull the power cable and/or remove the battery.. probably will fail thanks to the "hibernate" feature... Sooo.. hello new HD!? Special price for you.  :D

tomos:
Most of the time I use the Start button to stop the computer.
-David1904 (June 28, 2012, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, in Windows 8, that's not in the start menu any more. Shutdown is almost an Easter egg.
-daddydave (June 28, 2012, 08:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

this seems impressivly complex:

In the Metro interface, hover your mouse over the Zoom icon that appears in the lower right corner of the screen. The Charms bar should then pop up displaying several icons. Moving your mouse up the screen will reveal the names of each icon, including Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings. Click the Settings icon and then the Power Icon. You should see three options: Sleep, Restart, and Shut down. Clicking Shut down will close Windows 8 and turn off your PC.
--- End quote ---

Tuxman:
Since I had found the FindAndRunRobot (and replaced it by Launchy now  :P), I have not really used the start menu anymore. ac'tivAid has been providing my shutdown dialog (Ctrl+Q) for years anyway.  :D

It just looks weird down there without the start button.

Carol Haynes:
Easiest way to turn off your computer is to press the power button!

Cloq:
Easiest way to turn off your computer is to press the power button!
-Carol Haynes (June 29, 2012, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

SHHH!! Don't say that too loudly! MS might hear that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version