ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: App to Stop "All" Network Traffic Until My VPN Connects

<< < (3/4) > >>

coll4pqv:
It looks like, as others have noted, the firewall is the place to do this.  So far I've successfully blocked two applications from getting online unless the VPN is connected.

Here's what I've done (for those who are interested).

The TAP-32 Virtual Adapter that's part of the VPN package comes with no MAC address.  So I figured I could give it one, just as long as it didn't match one already on the network.  Once I did that I went into my firewall configuration screens.  Using the Comodo firewall, I went into Network Security Policy and then Application Rules. 

I set the "Action" to "Block."
I set the "Protocol" to whatever was appropriate for a given application.
I set the "Direction" to "In/Out" as I figured that would cover all the bases.
I gave it an appropriate description, something like "Force <insert app name here> To Use TAP-32."
Under "Source Address" I enabled the "Exclude" option.
I set the "Type" to "MAC Address."
I set the "MAC Address" to the one I gave the TAP-32 adapter.
I then click "Apply" and then, on the next screen, "Ok."

I'll note that I did not change anything under the "Destination Address," "Source Port" and "Destination Port" options.

Before I tested this out, I disconnected the VPN (TAP-32 adapter), did a "ping" of Yahoo.com to verify connectivity and then tried to get these first two applications online.  Neither was able to connect.  Once I re-enabled the TAP-32 adapter, however,  both were able to connect.

Sweet!

Now all I have to do is 1) identify all those applications for which I want to have internet access and, 2) identify which protocol they use to do so.

Now, I know that for most of you this isn't really that big of a deal.   :P  But for an 'ol fart like me, it's a big deal.   :greenclp:

Thanks to all for reading and your feedback.  It was great to have a sounding board.   :Thmbsup:

By the way, I want to be a programmer when I grow up!   ;D

Renegade:
Here's the Torrent Freak link:

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-make-vpns-even-more-secure-120419/

I think that's what you're looking for.

coll4pqv:
Here's the Torrent Freak link:

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-make-vpns-even-more-secure-120419/

I think that's what you're looking for.

-Renegade (June 28, 2012, 11:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Renegade.

I downloaded it this morning while connected to my VPN but it said that I wasn't connected.  My PC has Vista and this developer's site didn't explicitly say it worked with Vista.  Still, I'll probably dink around with it some more and see what I can come up with.  But I'm not sure it will work as well as the firewall rules I created which were both time-consuming to make and a bit more technical than I think most users would prefer, although doing firewall rules isn't that bad.

It just seems to me that it wouldn't be that difficult to create a small app that can do exactly what I want, but then again, I'm not a programmer.

Thanks again for the link.

4wd:
If you were willing to pay for it, Windows7FirewallControl, (works on XP->8 ), allows you to create 'Security Zones'.

So you could just create a zone that encompasses sources IPs that match your VPN IP allocation, then you just select Allow VPN zone only for any programs accessing the network.

Haven't used Comodo in a long time but it may have something similar - a lot easier than having to specify MAC addresses.

coll4pqv:
I've been learning about and configuring Comodo to do what I want.  It works...sorta.  More readling....  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version