ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DOTCOM saga - updates

<< < (19/39) > >>

Renegade:
Note: the real benefit of "being cynical" is that it gives you the strength to allow yourself to truly care about certain things. The difference is that everything you allow yourself to care about becomes a conscious choice when you're a cynic. And more importantly - you know it's a conscious and very personal choice.
 8)
-40hz (October 24, 2012, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D That's about as non-cynical a description of a cynic you could have come up with!
-superboyac (October 24, 2012, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it's pretty darn accurate for the classical sense. The modern sense of "cynicism" is much different, which is basically all the nasty, witty logic of cynicism with none of the virtues.

40hz:
Actually, it's pretty darn accurate for the classical sense. -Renegade (October 24, 2012, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darn well better be. I got straight A's in every humanities course I ever took. And I went to schools that respected and knew how to teach them.  ;D :P

superboyac:
Actually, it's pretty darn accurate for the classical sense. -Renegade (October 24, 2012, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darn well better be. I got straight A's in every humanities course I ever took. And I went to schools that respected and knew how to teach them.  ;D :P
-40hz (October 24, 2012, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
The only A I ever got in humanities was the one for my essay on Telemachus.  It's legendary.  I have it framed next to my B+ project for women's studies.  Also included on the mantle is my proud F I received for my essay on the history of the Los Angeles Lakers, which I took the creative liberty of presenting as a haiku about the recently traded Nick van Exel.  The instructors didn't appreciate the cursing.

40hz:
If it's any consolation, I "aced" the first serious CompSci course I ever took - and then promptly got an F for the second.

The brain has its seasons.  8)

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

Darn well better be. I got straight A's in every humanities course I ever took. And I went to schools that respected and knew how to teach them.  ;D :P
-40hz (October 24, 2012, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D

One of my favourite professors was a pure skeptic, and one of the top in that field. Another was a simply brilliant classicist, and one of the meanest when it came to grades. I had to actually work for A's in their classes!

But I didn't get straight A's... I was a bit preoccupied partying, drinking, and smoking a truckload of dope -- kind of hard to do much when the weekend starts on Wednesday afternoon~! ;D

At a certain level though, the school is largely irrelevant, and it becomes entirely about the individual professor. And then again, there are some simply brilliant professors out there that students need to work more to understand. Kind of a see-saw between traditional western and eastern educational methods. "The master will not sit until the mat is straight." Yadda yadda yadda.

For a very cool and fun read, check out Diogenes Laertius' book "The Lives of Eminent Philosophers" and look for the parts on Diogenes of Sinope, i.e. Diogenes "the dog". Absolutely, 100%, my favourite philosopher of all time - Diogenes of Sinope.

Oh, and just as a caution, that stuff is NSFW. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version