Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 21, 2014, 04:19:05 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: MEGA Almost Online - Misses Deadline  (Read 3227 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »

Well Kim Dotcom is still trying, but missed his first deadline:

http://kim.com/mega/

How far away is the new site? Dunno. We'll see.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »

What is this?

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »

What is this?

Not sure I like that domain name. mega.co.nz --> Mega Conz --> Mega Cons?

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »

Not sure I like that domain name. mega.co.nz --> Mega Conz --> Mega Cons?
Priceless cheesy

- carpe noctem
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »

What is this?

Dammit. I was looking around and couldn't find it. Had some timeouts, and figured, oh well.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:11 AM »

Mega can go fuck itself....

When a developer force shows you this, which is an obvious lie...I have no time for it.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:59 AM »

When a developer force shows you this, which is an obvious lie...I have no time for it.

just out of curiousity: was your browser uptodate?
(or are they really saying any other browser is crap!?)

Google seem to be spending a lot of money promoting Chrome.
I've come across a couple of apps lately that wanted to install chrome (could Java RT have been one of them undecided I cant remember...)

Tom
Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:36 AM »

That.  Angry

Paul Keith

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »

I think they are just hyping up Chrome as an HTML5 engine (and doing it wrongly) as that's the main browser known for it's HTML5 (thanks in part to Google's AppStore/AppSpace/HTML5 games).

Opera might be just waiting for Facebook/their replacement for Unite and Firefox has been promoting Personas for a while now.

None of the big browsers just do what they do anymore.

It would be interesting to see if this is what browsers like Flock have been waiting for especially as the tablet market has shown some bad but interesting minimal browsers.

The most annoying thing is that search is just dead. You don't have a universal extension search so you can't even find out which exclusive extensions most browsers have and they keep changing names. Opera extensions, Firefox Add-ons, Chrome Apps. It's what allows these companies to get away with messages like these.

<reserve space for the day DC can auto-generate your signature from your personal PopUp Wisdom quotes>
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »

It shows even for the latest firefox - doesn't pop up right away, you have to upload some files for it to show.

- carpe noctem
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

Google seem to be spending a lot of money promoting Chrome.
I've come across a couple of apps lately that wanted to install chrome (could Java RT have been one of them undecided I cant remember...)

Latest version of Opera.  On which, EVERY other HTML5 based website, works perfectly.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »

Some hackers who are smarter than me and know a lot more about this than I do have something to say about the MEGA fail.

In case you’ve been living under a rock the past few days, Kim Dotcom (of Megaupload infamy) has launched his new cloud storage site, Mega. Mega has an impressive sales pitch, promising secure cloud storage where only the user has the key to decrypt his or her files, and the encryption and decryption happens securely in the browser.

Today we aren’t going to take a look at their encryption or their key generation, which have already been the subject of several articles. Instead, we’re going to look at the security of the Mega website itself. As Mega themselves admit, if you use their web interface (and not a third-party client), the security of the entire ordeal depends on whether you trust them. After all, anyone with the ability to modify the site could just replace the JavaScript code with one that sends them (or anyone else) your password or master key. There’s no way around having to trust Mega for this, but you also have to trust that Mega’s site is delivered securely to you.

The standard solution to this problem is to use a strong form of SSL. However, Mega chose an interesting approach to SSL. Instead of serving the entire site from a single secure server or group of servers using strong SSL, they came up with a clever scheme to allow them to serve most of their site insecurely. Mega’s main index.html is hosted on a secure server using SSL with 2048-bit RSA. However, everything else is loaded dynamically from JavaScript code in index.html, and hash checked. This additional content comes from a CDN that uses weaker 1024-bit SSL with MD5 authentication. The CDN servers are third-party servers, and thus potentially easy to compromise for an attacker. Therefore, you would have to trust the entire CDN network and also trust that nobody has broken 1024-bit SSL yet (which is known to be weak by modern standards). In order to solve this problem, Mega hashes all of the additional content, and stores the hashes in index.html. This creates a chain of trust, or as they put it, “secure boot for websites”. Clever.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with this idea. However, security designs are only as secure as their implementation. Let’s look at Mega’s “web secure boot” implementation.

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/megafail.html

Giampy
Participant

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:34 AM »

Mega likes Firefox too:
http://www.ghacks.net/201...irefox-extension-released

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »

Some old and new news from torrentfreak. Interesting developments.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)

Dotcom’s Mega Pushes More Bandwidth Than New Zealand

Kim Dotcom Resigns as Mega Director to Focus on Music Venture
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 04:23:51 AM »

Some time later...
Dotcom Thanks RIAA and MPAA for Mega’s Massive Growth
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.079s | Server load: 0.1 ]