ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me pick a midrange Android phone?

<< < (9/11) > >>

daddydave:
This would be good time for Google to lower the cost of Galaxy Nexus to about $200 so it can keep its OS market share. ;)

Interesting article here: Why I'm ditching the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, about why a Verizon contract Galaxy Nexus isn't a real Galaxy Nexus. He switched to a $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan. :)

daddydave:
Interesting article here: Why I'm ditching the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, about why a Verizon contract Galaxy Nexus isn't a real Galaxy Nexus. He switched to a $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan. :)
-daddydave (August 19, 2012, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Until I found this article, I was under the impression from the T-Mobile web site that the $30/month plans and Bring Your Own Phone were mutually exclusive. Perhaps because that's how other carriers do it, and perhaps because both of the pages with the value plans listed direct you to the phones they sell.

daddydave:
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to get an older Galaxy S II unless it has Ice Cream Sandwich installed OEM.  They are very nice phones, but I have dealt with too many horror stories of people who had one with Gingerbread, did the update to ICS and it completely broke multiple functionalities.  If you find, like, and purchase one with Gingerbread, DO NOT UPDATE IT.  It is not worth the pain...
-Edvard (August 14, 2012, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does this advice apply to OEM manual updates?

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3029

J-Mac:
Yes!! Even more so than hacked updates! At least those are being analyzed by user communities, while Verizon and AT&T won't move at all to help once you update to theirs. Oh, they will come out with updates to try and fix things, but icebergs move faster.

I blocked my Verizon Droid Razr's attempts to auto-update from GB to ICS for about three weeks as I watched all the ruckus and gnashing of teeth of those who did accept the update. Then I made up my mind that I don’t want Verizon's damn update so I disabled their updater (access to the phone's root and Titanium Backup Pro are wonderful!) With my phone rooted I can install just about any app I wish, and also block and/or remove any app also - including Verizon's bloatware. Those who allowed the ICS update from Verizon can't do that yet; the new bootlocker isn't allowing users to root and the last I checked no one had yet released a trouble-free root hack for it.

Jim

daddydave:
I came to realize Android 4.x (ICS) is a firm requirement, because Android 4.0 is the first version that supports Devanagari script (and font management on Android seems to be about the same as font management on Palm OS, you'd have to either overwrite the one Unicode font or use an application specific font). I need this for my personal project of learning Hindi, which I have slacked off on lately.
-daddydave (August 17, 2012, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I briefly considered whether I could make an end run around this by changing course and getting a Windows Phone. Unfortunately there is apparently no way at all to get Devanagari script (or Tamil script, or Gujarati script, etc.) on the Windows Phone 7.5 OS. In spite of it being code named mango (the de facto national fruit of India, I think).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version