ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me pick a midrange Android phone?

<< < (5/11) > >>

J-Mac:
I'm not concerned about getting ICS on my Razr. From what I read on the XDA Developers forum the folks who have installed private versions of ICS aren't that impressed with it compared to the Razr rooted and modified that way.

Jim

daddydave:
Another option: Motorola Photon (BYOP) + ACRS Wireless + PlatinumTel
Then I would have a world phone with above average battery life.

-daddydave (July 03, 2012, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
This option is no longer available, the article was updated August 10: "ACRS Wireless is no longer activating Sprint phones on PlatinumTel."

Edvard:
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to get an older Galaxy S II unless it has Ice Cream Sandwich installed OEM.  They are very nice phones, but I have dealt with too many horror stories of people who had one with Gingerbread, did the update to ICS and it completely broke multiple functionalities.  If you find, like, and purchase one with Gingerbread, DO NOT UPDATE IT.  It is not worth the pain...

f0dder:
802.11n wi-fi (not just g)-daddydave (June 27, 2012, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why? Flash memory can probalby not do much more than g speed anyway.

AMOLED or Super AMOLED or anything where I can read it outside in daylight. The phone will be an e-book reader among other things-daddydave (June 27, 2012, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good luck finding that - and really, the screen on any phone is too small for that. Heck, I'd say an iPad2 is the smallest resolution as well as physical size where ebook reading is comfortable. On a phone? Ugh.

That said, I've been pretty happy with my HTC Desire S. It's been with me for a year, and survived more than one drunken bicycle crash. It performs decently, has a good-enough camera, a working GPS with fine Google Maps integration, et cetera. I wouldn't have bought a smartphone myself, this was a company supplied phone, so I have no idea if it's in the price range, and it doesn't do ICS (at least not without rooting). But it works pretty damn well as-is :)

cyberdiva:
...and really, the screen on any phone is too small for that. Heck, I'd say an iPad2 is the smallest resolution as well as physical size where ebook reading is comfortable. On a phone? Ugh.
-f0dder (August 14, 2012, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I probably should stay out of this conversation, since I don't even own a smartphone, but I have to say that my husband reads books on his Optimus V phone all the time.  He has easily read more than 50 books that way.  He used to use a Nook, but he stopped using it when he found out how much he enjoyed reading on his phone.  And unlike the Nook or, of course, an iPad, the Optimus V fits in his shirt pocket, so he always has it with him for reading as well as for use as a phone.  I didn't believe him when he said reading was comfortable on the Optimus V, but then he let me try it out for myself, and I was very pleasantly surprised.  I almost bought one after that, but I couldn't find a decent Scrabble game for Android (I've got my priorities ;D ), so I've kept my dumb phone and my beloved PalmTX, which has the kind of Scrabble game I want (one that allows me to play against the Palm's computer, doesn't have ads, and doesn't require an Internet connection).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version