ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me pick a midrange Android phone?

<< < (4/11) > >>

cyberdiva:
Btw are there any screen types that are viewable in direct sunlight other than ones with AMOLED in their name?
-daddydave (June 30, 2012, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, I told my husband what you had said about AMOLED and 10 hr. battery life.  He replied that his Optimus V is very good in direct sunlight.  It apparently has several different levels you can set it to.  As for battery life, he has his phone on all the time and often uses it many hours a day as a reader, as well as to read his email, check traffic conditions, read the web, etc., and with that kind of usage he gets FAR MORE than 10 hours of battery life.  But he's not downloading huge amounts of data, watching movies, etc.  And, of course, Optimus V does not run ICS.  But he's very pleased with his phone, and I thought I'd pass along what he said.

daddydave:
Btw are there any screen types that are viewable in direct sunlight other than ones with AMOLED in their name?
-daddydave (June 30, 2012, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, I told my husband what you had said about AMOLED and 10 hr. battery life.  He replied that his Optimus V is very good in direct sunlight.  It apparently has several different levels you can set it to.  As for battery life, he has his phone on all the time and often uses it many hours a day as a reader, as well as to read his email, check traffic conditions, read the web, etc., and with that kind of usage he gets FAR MORE than 10 hours of battery life.  But he's not downloading huge amounts of data, watching movies, etc.  And, of course, Optimus V does not run ICS.  But he's very pleased with his phone, and I thought I'd pass along what he said.
-cyberdiva (June 30, 2012, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks to you and your husband for the info! I could see myself going down that route then. I also will not be a huge user of data.

NOTE: That particular model only has a 3.2" screen, I am looking at VM's Motorola Triumph though.

daddydave:
Another option: Motorola Photon (BYOP) + ACRS Wireless + PlatinumTel
Then I would have a world phone with above average battery life.

J-Mac:
I have a Droid Razr from Verizon Wireless. It's OK..  kinda. But I am disappointed in Motorola. They seem to have gone in whole hog with Verizon on trying to lock you in to a lot of junk. I rooted mine and immediately vanquished a bunch of Motorola's and Verizon's apps, but it's still a PITA when they send an update and try to force it all back on the phone. Plus there can be NO hardware hacking on this thing. The battery and a lot of the guts are soldered in place and can't be removed/replaced without destroying the damned thing.

I wish I had selected a Samsung phone instead. I thought I had done enough homework on this droid - but I apparently didn't.   >:(

Good luck!

Jim

daddydave:
J-Mac, I think we were all assuming that Apple was the only company backward enough to go to the Palm OS days of non-removable batteries, and it is rarely listed in the specs. When I found out some Android devices are doing the same, I started doing Google searches for the device + "replacement battery."

Currently the only way to get ICS on the Photon will disable 4G. However I would not have 4G anyway under either the Virgin Mobile plan (unless I get the Evo V 4g) or the PlatinumTel one. Supposedly the Photon is slated to get ICS from Motorola in 4Q 2012.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version