ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Tablet

<< < (5/8) > >>

4wd:
(I'd still be prefer dual e-ink screens - lighter, no fans, potentially larger screen, longer battery life, etc. Just seems like an obvious thing to try, to me).-nudone (June 28, 2012, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tried and Failed

There's been a couple more, eg. Astri MyID in 2010, ASUS also announced one back in 2009.

Just looks like there's no demand for it after the iPad hit the shelves in early 2010 - people were dazzled by the coloured blinken lights.

Amazon has a patent on a dual screen ereader.

So that, no doubt, stops anyone from doing anything.

nudone:
Oh, that's disappointing. Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted a device that size (screens are too small with big fat ugly borders). Portability and "blinking lights" are obviously all that matters. I guess I just want a book, albeit, a magical book with only two A5 sized pages - which then have the power to change/update to new content. I'll start looking for one on Amazon in about 10 years time.

edit: (yet, again)
Didn't quite appreciate the size of it. I thought it was Kindle size - it's crazy big. The big fat ugly borders ruin though.

jgpaiva:
Nudone, do you find that the fact that a book can show you two pages at once is more a "feature" than an artifact of being the cheapest/more convenient way of producing it?
Personally, I believe that the fact that it closes on itself (as I suppose such a tablet would) is far more of a nuisance than the few occasions where I need to ping-pong between two pages (which often are not side-to-side but back-to-back due to poor editing :P ).

mouser:
I'd still love to see someone manufacture a large-format tablet -- something with a 8.5 x 14 inch screen or higher.

nudone:
Nudone, do you find that the fact that a book can show you two pages at once is more a "feature" than an artifact of being the cheapest/more convenient way of producing it?
Personally, I believe that the fact that it closes on itself (as I suppose such a tablet would) is far more of a nuisance than the few occasions where I need to ping-pong between two pages (which often are not side-to-side but back-to-back due to poor editing tongue ).
--- End quote ---

Yes, good point. Dual screen would be annoying in that way. I've changed my mind. What I really want is a bigger screen tablet (which I think I commented about before somewhere; a large tablet would be good for digital artists and designers - like a mobile Wacom Cintiq - if they can make it light enough to carry and hold).

I admit, 99.9% of the time, I'm happy reading a single (PDF) page on the iPad. But sometimes there are double page spread illustrations/diagrams to view - so, I just automatically thought double screen made sense, but just a bit larger screen that can fit a double page view on it would be perfect.

So, I now want an iPad sized device with a borderless screen so nothing wasted. Oh, and lighter and with better battery - and, colour e-ink screen that can also emit light when necessary.

Colour e-ink... got to be available within five years. Easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version