ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Facebook Changed Everyone’s Email to @Facebook.com; Here’s How to Fix It

<< < (7/8) > >>

IainB:
Finally someone explained to me wtf this whole thing was actually about, thank you.
Since it's such a short explanation let's just recap it here:
-mouser (June 28, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
I could be wrong, of course, but I'm not so sure it's that simple.
For example: Changing your email address on Facebook isn’t going to help: why you’re screwed anyway

wraith808:
From Gervase Markham's story:
The email instead goes to my Facebook inbox, and I don't get a notification email to say it's there.
--- End quote ---
So this is why Facebook introduced it: They want you to go to their site to check for email. They don't want to send the messages to your email and have you interact there, they don't want you to use a search engine to find content, and they don't want you to use forums and instant messages to talk to people. They don't want you ever to get the idea to leave the site.
-justice (June 28, 2012, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup... that's what I meant/said earlier.

IainB:
From Gervase Markham's story:
The email instead goes to my Facebook inbox, and I don't get a notification email to say it's there.
--- End quote ---
So this is why Facebook introduced it: They want you to go to their site to check for email. They don't want to send the messages to your email and have you interact there, they don't want you to use a search engine to find content, and they don't want you to use forums and instant messages to talk to people. They don't want you ever to get the idea to leave the site.
-justice (June 28, 2012, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup... that's what I meant/said earlier.
-wraith808 (June 28, 2012, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, so you did, and I suspected you were probably likely to be proven correct.
I reckon this could have all been a mistake or a miscalculated risk on Facebook's part.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, etc. - big potential for a backlash from those members who wake up to the implications/ramifications of what has been done. Somewhere in there, trust could get wiped out.
Even if this supposition turns out not to be true:
They don't want you ever to get the idea to leave the site.
--- End quote ---
- it must leave a lot of people wondering.

Fair do's to Google. At least when they introduced g+, though they seemed clearly to be aligning themselves as a Facebook competitor, they didn't make it (g+) compulsory - though they seemed to come pretty close to doing that.

wraith808:
Fair do's to Google. At least when they introduced g+, though they seemed clearly to be aligning themselves as a Facebook competitor, they didn't make it (g+) compulsory - though they seemed to come pretty close to doing that.
-IainB (June 28, 2012, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I imagine that's in large part because of Buzz. :)

IainB:
Was buzz "social networking"-related? I'm not sure
I tried using buzz - and wave for that matter - but still have no real idea what either was supposed to achieve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version