ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Facebook Changed Everyone’s Email to @Facebook.com; Here’s How to Fix It

<< < (5/8) > >>

tomos:
Seems there's at least 162 people with my name so I dont think this new email address will be a problem. Also they've left my original address as my main email, so I presume that is what apps will get (unfortunately).

rgdot:
They should have changed all to @zuckerberg.com

:P

jgpaiva:
At least in my case I can toggle visibility of @facebook and my email
 (see attachment in previous post)
-rgdot (June 26, 2012, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think the largest issue is the ability to toggle visibility, but that facebook decided without consent to make it visible by default.-wraith808 (June 26, 2012, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I still haven't understood why this is a problem. If you allowed messages from unknown people, the "send a message" button was there before and it accomplished the same objective. If you did not allow them (and still don't), as fenixproductions mentioned, emails from unknown sources get refused (much in the same way messages from unknown sources would).
If they made the personal emails available (the ones not from facebook), I would understand the problem, this way, I really don't.

wraith808:
At least in my case I can toggle visibility of @facebook and my email
 (see attachment in previous post)
-rgdot (June 26, 2012, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think the largest issue is the ability to toggle visibility, but that facebook decided without consent to make it visible by default.-wraith808 (June 26, 2012, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I still haven't understood why this is a problem. If you allowed messages from unknown people, the "send a message" button was there before and it accomplished the same objective. If you did not allow them (and still don't), as fenixproductions mentioned, emails from unknown sources get refused (much in the same way messages from unknown sources would).
If they made the personal emails available (the ones not from facebook), I would understand the problem, this way, I really don't.
-jgpaiva (June 26, 2012, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're looking at it purely from the intent of privacy concerns and personal uses.  Facebook, for better or worse, is used by non-businesses.  And some of them post their contact information to get in contact with them off of facebook.  If all of a sudden, business correspondence is going to facebook messaging rather than their e-mail address... that's a concern, at least as far as I see.

The other concern (even from a personal use) is transparency of action.  When google opted people in to buzz, did it really do anything terribly bad?  It was just that people got opted into a service that they didn't opt into.  Same thing goes here.

IainB:
They're just trying to cull out the last of the few people there left with an ounce of common sense so the rest can be quietly volunteeded (via EULA update) to participate in testing of their new Soylent Green line of products.
-Stoic Joker (June 26, 2012, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Har-de-har-har. Very droll.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version