ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Odd cookie problem

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I am trying to stay logged in to a website (www.nectar.com).

It works fine on two computers with any browser but on my laptop (Win 7 x86) no browser can stay logged in to the website after the browser closes.

The only security running are Windows Firewall (which I have reset to default) and MSE (which is pretty much at default settings).

All other sites are fine - I have tried using IE9, Firefox and Chrome and that one site can not retain the session when the browser closes.

I have cleared browsing history for each browser (including cookies) to reset the cache but it makes no difference.

Driving me nuts - anyone got any idea what is going on?

40hz:
Sounds like you're getting a "session" or non-persistent type cookie which gets stored in RAM  rather to a text file. Close the browser and it's gone no matter what.

Why it's only happening on your laptop however is a puzzle. I have the same issue with cigarboxnation.com on my laptop (LinuxMint-64bit). That site stays logged in on every other PC I own. Ditto my iPhone. But not this laptop.

I just assumed it was a "Linux thing." Or possibly something between the site and the user agent my browser is reporting. Or a tweak I made to the FF config file. But now that I've seen you're having the same experience under Windows with three separate browsers, I'm getting curious again as to exactly what is happening here.

Anybody? Anybody? :)

4wd:
Does a cookie actually get set, eg. Firefox->Options->Privacy->Show cookies ?

And does it show a use-by-date ?

Carol Haynes:
I removed all the nectar.com cookies in FF.

Logging in produces 7 new cookies:

JSESSIONID Expires end of session
cookieenabledcheck Expires end of session
_utma Expires 26th June 2014 16:36:24
_utmb Expires 26th Junes 2012 17:06:24
_tnmc Expires end of session
_utmz Expires 26th Dec. 2012
UnicalNIODID Expires 31st May 2017

I did the same on my desktop computer and it prduces two extra cookies:

_ric_c344 26th July 2012 (actually expires almost immediately after creation)
_ric_sc344  end of session

Not sure what is going on. All I know is when I restart FF on my desktop I am still logged in - on my laptop I am not.

barney:
Dunno that this'll be relevant, but I recently encountered a similar problem after I eradicated all LSOs (flash cookies) from my system.  After digging for a few days, I removed the app (GrekSoft Flash Cookie Remover) that was clearing the LSOs and suddenly my access(es) returned to normal.  Just thought it worth a mention  :-\.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version