ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Borland C++ Builder Contest

Please explain ...

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
we could do all testing in a sandbox and so not require source until and if a program is chosen as a winner, if that makes people more comfortable, thought it would make testing more difficult.
-mouser (April 09, 2006, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just a personal observation, I would have thought that a programming comptetion shouldn't be just about the final product but also how the quality solution is implemented. The style of code writing and the ability to maintain and develop the project in the future (even if it is not made open source) should (IMHO) be part of the judging process and this can only be done if the source code is made available to the judges at the start.

Carol Haynes:
A) Otherwise the binary submitted could do something nasty like...
--- End quote ---
So I should trust in an unnamed person, which is not trusting in an identified me?-Smirf (April 09, 2006, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

No one is forcing anyone to enter if they don't want to abide by the rules.

C) ... you could help out by translating it into German ...
My question was meant to learn about all targeted programmers. I am not sure, who is included.

--- End quote ---

Anyone who wants to enter

mouser:
So I should trust in an unnamed person, which is not trusting in an identified me?
--- End quote ---
in the case of a big competition like this, i'm afraid we have to be a little more cautious when it comes to proclaiming a winning program and officially sanctioning it.

My question was meant to learn about all targeted programmers. I am not sure, who is included.
--- End quote ---
basically i'm saying that if you have a program which is not in english, there are people who will help to make an english version.  the contest is open to people from any region of the world, and if you don't know english we can help you find someone who can make an english translation for your program, so that shouldn't be an obstacle to entering (for judging purposes we need to be able to have an english version to evaluate).

just a personal observation, I would have thought that a programming comptetion shouldn't be just about the final product but also how the quality solution is implemented. The style of code writing and the ability to maintain and develop the project in the future (even if it is not made open source) should (IMHO) be part of the judging process and this can only be done if the source code is made available to the judges at the start.-carolh
--- End quote ---

in this case, the competition is not based on coding style.  as important as good programming practices are, this is not a competition to test coding skill per se, but rather an evaluation of how good the finished program is from a usability/usefulness factor.

more thoughts:
the hope is that the contest will result in some useful programs that the authors want help getting some attention and donations from, and that the public will benefit from.  so by all means i encourage entrants to interact with users on the forum for help beta testing, translating, thinking up ideas, etc., during the course of the contest period, for those authors who don't feel like they want to keep their submissions secret until the end.

Smirf:
No one is forcing anyone to enter if they don't want to abide by the rules.
--- End quote ---
I rather have thought to read something encouraging, explaining the rules. Thankfully some of you have reacted like that. Thank you.

As for English: I understood, that the program has to provide an English language surface. Currently I am developig an 10x8 and 8x8 Chess program SMIRF, which actually speaks four languages including English. For now it is designed to be shareware in the form of a donationware. But that design does not seem to match your rules. So I have to think the whole thing over ...

Regards, Reinhard.

mouser:
i don't think this is going to help your decision but it may affect others, and i will clarify it in the contest: i think it should be acceptable for someone to say that their program is freeware/donationware for non-commercial use, but requires a payment (shareware) for commercial use.  that is in keeping with the spirit of the site and contest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version