ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Borland C++ Builder Contest

Please explain ...

(1/4) > >>

Smirf:
I still have some problems to participate, because:

a) Why is it necessary to open my source code? I have no control who would have access to it then.
    (I am not willing to make an open source project out of my programs)

b) Why must participating donationware be based on freeware? Why not on shareware?
    (the difference: the latter will work unrestrictedly only after making a donation)

c) Why has this contest been published in English language only? Are German programmers excluded?

Regards, Reinhard.

PhilKC:
I'm not mouser... But:

A) Otherwise the binary submitted could do something nasty like... Delete random files... I don't think the source code is going to be published against your request...
However, authors can elect not to have the source code released to the public.
--- End quote ---

B) Mouser will be able to give you an answer to this...

C) As far as I know, mouser only speaks English, however, you could help out by translating it into German (Or any other language) and passing it on to mouser...

As I said, I'm not mouser, and my comments above are only assumptions that should be disregarded as soon as mouser replies :)

PhilKC

mouser:
hi smirf!

ok good questions.. let's take them in turn.  philkc had it about right.

a) source code - you do not have to make your source code available to the public.  the reason we require submission of source code is that the winning programs are going to be made available to the public and we need to be able to compile these programs to ensure that no one submits a malicious program (trojan/virus). we could do all testing in a sandbox and so not require source until and if a program is chosen as a winner, if that makes people more comfortable, thought it would make testing more difficult.

but i will repeat what the contest page says - you do not have to open source or reveal source of your program to the public; it's just a security question to make sure we don't officially distribute malware.  perhaps there are alternative ways of assuring ourselves of this if this is a huge issue for someone.

b) freeware/donationware vs. shareware.  our site is about donationware - and so is the contest.  we are not against shareware, but a fun part about this contest is that we are gonig to try hard to help the authors of winning programs get some notice and attention and donations for their freeware/donaitonware program.  if you do not want your program to be donationware then this is not the contest for you :)

c) english only - this is trickier.  certainly support of additional languages beyond english would be viewed as a positive thing.  but as some of the judges are english language only, it might be hard for us to evaluate programs that have no enlish version.  so it's more of a practical matter.  i'll bet that you would find someone on this forum happy to make an english translation for anyone who needed help with it.

Carol Haynes:
Welcome Smirf.

I am not replying in any official capacity as I have nothing to do with the competition but here is my take:

a) It isn't necessary to make your source open to everybody if you don't want to - but it must be supplied for judging and security purposes. On the contest page it says "For security reasons, entries must include complete source code. However, authors can elect not to have the source code released to the public."

b) This is the basis of the competition. DonationCoder.com is a site committed to freely available software and donations are welcome but not mandatory.

c) I'd guess because Mouser (who runs DonationCoder.com) speaks English and doesn't speak German. I'm sure no offense was meant and that everyone is free to enter but I would imagine that may be difficult to judge if the entry is aimed at a German speaking audience only (unless we have German speakers involved in the judging).

Smirf:
A) Otherwise the binary submitted could do something nasty like...
--- End quote ---
So I should trust in an unnamed person, which is not trusting in an identified me?

C) ... you could help out by translating it into German ...
--- End quote ---
My question was meant to learn about all targeted programmers. I am not sure, who is included.

Regards, Reinhard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version