ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VLC Hit 1 BILLION Downloads

<< < (2/2)

Josh:
That open source stuff might have a future after all.
-zridling (June 25, 2012, 12:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I doubt this has anything to do with it being open source and more about it being free. Remember, OSS and Free do not ALWAYS go together. Were they to start charging for it, I guarantee it would no longer have the "appeal" it does now.

Although VLC is so mediocre in terms of video/audio quality? Respectable.
-Tuxman (June 25, 2012, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I cannot notice a difference and I've used this, and many other video/audio players, to output from my laptop to our 46" LCD TV. Perhaps you can enlighten us on which player has better audio/video quality for a combined player?

jgpaiva:
That open source stuff might have a future after all.
-zridling (June 25, 2012, 12:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I doubt this has anything to do with it being open source and more about it being free. Remember, OSS and Free do not ALWAYS go together. Were they to start charging for it, I guarantee it would no longer have the "appeal" it does now.
-Josh (June 25, 2012, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
While I don't believe that its success is due solely to being OSS (I agree that being free has a large influence too), I think some credit should be given to the development model: there are several unsuccessful free players. Also, VLC is a technically advanced player/encoder/whatever-it-does, I do believe that being feature-full is related to having lots of people working on it, due to being OSS.

Tuxman:
All players which use native system codecs and don't bring their own ones, presumably.

VLC's major problem is the overdriven audio output IMO, but also video has worse quality than Media Player Classic with ffdshow. Interestingly most problems are gone when I tick the checkbox to "use system codecs", but VLC's only advantage is gone then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version