ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Error 451: The Government Has Censored This Content

<< < (4/7) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Mind you, on a more serious note, there are those as reckon they can speak with the dead - or that the dead can speak through them (e.g., mediums). "Is anybody there?" - You know, that sort of thing.
When I was a child, I knew of one such person who reckoned that he spoke with his spirit guide who was the spirit of Chief Sitting Bull, or something like that, and I read of another whose spirit guide was apparently the spirit of one of the Egyptian Pharaohs - I forget which one. I'm not sure how they overcame the language barrier in either case.
Oddly enough, though I did look, I never read of anyone who claimed that his spirit guide was someone ordinary - like the spirit of a deceased bus-conductor off a Clapham omnibus, for example. And it made me think "Now why is that?". Very mysterious.     :D
-IainB (June 25, 2012, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

(Takes it right back to a less serious note)
Actually, while it's "boring" that there isn't very much paranormal stuff in the world, you're remarking on a rather important proof that the supernatural stuff (mostly?) doesn't exist: "Speak to my dead mother, hmm? And all you got is 'I love you'? I would have believed you if you had said 'eat your veggies, you miserable ungrateful sack of lard!' "
(The argument gets even funnier on the religious side, but that risks the Soap Box).

Renegade:
One point that I want to bring up... F451 wasn't about censorship, and Bradbury himself would get wroth when confronted with the fact that people thought it was about the same.
-wraith808 (June 23, 2012, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's been a while, though I might have it in my library - so what was it about? What else were the Firemen doing burning books if it wasn't censorship?
-TaoPhoenix (June 23, 2012, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, unfortunately for Ray, he may be just a little bit wrong...

<art_criticism_theory>
Good art transcends the artist and the artists intentions, taking a life of its own and revealing meaning in different ways to different people.
</art_criticism_theory>

While artists may not like that sometimes, it's a deep compliment for them.

So while Ray may not have intended it to be about censorship, that's not what a lot of people got from his book. Call it an unintended gift. :P

wraith808:
So while Ray may not have intended it to be about censorship, that's not what a lot of people got from his book. Call it an unintended gift.
-Renegade (June 26, 2012, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, IMO Ray wasn't wrong.  He wrote what he wrote, and meant what he meant.  If I write that I am blue, and you take it to mean that I'm sad, but I actually meant, I dressed up like a smurf, you are entitled to your interpretation.  However, by the same rights as the writer, my intent is not changed by your interpretation.

So people can get out of it whatever they want.  However, the writer's intent of the novel remains unchanged.  And when such classes as mentioned are formed, they are usually about the writer's intent, not your interpretation (though there are classes about that also).  And telling the author what his intent was in the face of his denial and correction is just rude in my opinion.

tomos:
^ could it not be both (intentional content/message and other intrepertations)

daddydave:

<art_criticism_theory>
Good art transcends the artist and the artists intentions, taking a life of its own and revealing meaning in different ways to different people.
</art_criticism_theory>

-Renegade (June 26, 2012, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am far from an art critic, but this makes perfect sense to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version