topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Quantum Conundrum  (Read 5466 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quantum Conundrum
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:34 AM »
Just pre-purchased my copy of quantum conundrum through steam. For those of you who aren't tracking, some info is provided below.

This is a game done by the creator of Portal, Kim Swift. Looks like a very promising game!

Kim Swift has built a name for herself as a creative indie game developer. She was the lead designer of Valve’s highly original Portal game. While a student at Digipen, she co-created a project dubbed Narbacular Drop, which served as the inspiration for Portal. She won Game of the Year and Innovation awards in 2007 at the Game Developers Choice awards.

Swift also worked on Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. She left Valve in December 2009 to work for Airtight Games. There, she began work on Quantum Conundrum, a zany Portal-like physics game with a sense of humor. The game will be published this year as a downloadable title by Square Enix. We recently caught up with Swift for an interview. Here’s a transcript of our talk.

Interview with Kim Swift about Quantum Conundrum

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Quantum Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Thanks. It looks pretty interesting. Can't say it's something I've ever seen from Square but I don't keep up with their games anymore.

The look and design looks less like Portal and more like Evil Genius. The plot has me worried though. Seems like it's going to be a desolate game again. (I've only played the Portal flash game though and didn't finish it nor get to the middle.)

Maybe I'm the minority in this but any else feel like Portal's physics can best be pushed to an improved hybrid action/puzzle game like a 3d version of Wild 9 with better storytelling or PSI-OPs with a better lesson?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:54 PM »
nice pre-order offer! Josh! you missed the Steam link! :)

Special Offer
People who pre-purchase Quantum Conundrum on Steam will be automatically entered into a drawing for a chance to have their portrait painted by the artists of Quantum Conundrum and hung in the manor in the game!
No purchase necessary. See the official rules here.

Note: the official rules link opens a PDF file.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:52 AM »
nice pre-order offer! Josh! you missed the Steam link! :)

Special Offer
People who pre-purchase Quantum Conundrum on Steam will be automatically entered into a drawing for a chance to have their portrait painted by the artists of Quantum Conundrum and hung in the manor in the game!
No purchase necessary. See the official rules here.

Note: the official rules link opens a PDF file.

What is steam?

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:29 AM »
Well it's out now, and I've played about an hour of it, and quite like it so far.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:16 AM »
I started playing it last night and I have got stuck already! How do you get out of the room where you break the glass - once it has gone there doesn't seem much you can do??

I like the game but I do find there is a lot of walking about and it feels just a little bit slow paced.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:27 AM »
I started playing it last night and I have got stuck already! How do you get out of the room where you break the glass - once it has gone there doesn't seem much you can do??
-Carol Haynes (June 22, 2012, 04:16 AM)
Spoiler
You turn on fluffy, and the cube lands on top of the glass, then you run across the glass and turn off fluffy again to break it and drop the cube onto the switch.

I spent a few minutes running around there as well, trying to jump down and run up the halway and trying to hit the ledges on the sides of the pit :D.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:31 AM »
LOL - yes I had got it figured. You have to start thinking in the internal logic - given that I have enough trouble with my own it is a challenge!