ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we need other programs?

(1/2) > >>

Giampy:
There are already many word processors, archivers, text editors etc... Most of those programs are all equal.
I wonder what pushes some people to create still new similar programs.

TaoPhoenix:
For me, the answer is "custom features". Up until I ran out of funding, I was making a text processor that had extra built in data manipulation features not normally found in standard programs.

J-Mac:
I often wonder the same thing; developers keep reinventing the wheel over and over. And usually the added features aren't enough (IMO) to justify an entire new program. How many more text editors do I need? Why are there so many anti-viruses? Text expanders?

Seems like overkill to me; but of course that's just me.   :)

Jim

TaoPhoenix:
I often wonder the same thing; developers keep reinventing the wheel over and over. And usually the added features aren't enough (IMO) to justify an entire new program. How many more text editors do I need? Why are there so many anti-viruses? Text expanders?

Seems like overkill to me; but of course that's just me.   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (June 22, 2012, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

A feature is a feature. My text app would have split any text file into sections by delimiter character. Then I'd import all those fragments into one of those multiplexed web sites Paul K and I were talking about. But Paul K of course was right about the sparse look. I had a project going to develop a universal converter to make one of those barebones sites into a full blog. That feature too would have been in the app. So yes, sometimes features need to be made.

ewemoa:
For a given application (type) there might be a feature or set of features missing, I could see being motivated to want an existing application to get enhanced in a particular manner or better still be enhanced to provide a mechanism for extension (e.g. via an appropriate plug-in system) so other folks can provide enhancement for themselves or others -- but if that doesn't seem likely to happen, perhaps that can be motivating for some folks to want to create their own from scratch (or modify some existing app).  But then sometimes, people just want to learn how something might be built and as they continue...

One concrete example for a desired feature (my own :) ) is the idea of being able to more easily navigate and hierarchically "bookmark" video data.  It doesn't sound too difficult conceptually but I haven't yet come across an app that provides this satisfactorily.  Though I don't have the skill to create a video-playing app from scratch, I could just barely imagine (at least investigating) trying to modify an existing video player's source to provide an appropriate extension mechanism so that the result might be leveraged toward the original goal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version