topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Denial of economic crisis contagion in the Eurozone.  (Read 2468 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Denial of economic crisis contagion in the Eurozone.
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Euro-state is not.jpg

I lifted the image from a Samizdata post - here.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Denial of economic crisis contagion in the Eurozone.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:13 AM »
Looks like this guy paid them all a visit...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Hey, that's to keep you scared so that you'll keep bailing out the banksters. It's worked on everyone but Iceland to date. Ninety percent of the bailout money goes to the bankers and only 10% (or less) ever gets to the ground to help the economy, increase employment, etc. This is capitalism feeding on itself, or as Sheldon Wolin describes it, an inverted totalitarianism.
http://en.wikipedia....rted_totalitarianism

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:26 AM »
What a brilliant collection of clichés!
Is there a name for this? It looks to be a new class of cliché altogether.
They are amusing anyway - in their own right, I mean - but if they are all true sources and not made up just as a joke, then they are a truly hilarious joke on the people and mindsets that caused them to be uttered.

I wonder, are they real clichés - statements made independently and without concious reference to one another, as in "going forward", or "at this point in time"?
Or were they perhaps made deliberately as a cynical script - like Obama's empty "...one of our greatest/most important allies" cliché said directly to almost each and every visiting representative from other, smaller nations?

I suspect that it could be a deliberate Euro word-play. If you make such statements from the point of view of each collapsing economy in the Euro-daisy chain, then they are all equal, but still collectively "together". No separatism. Safety in numbers, that sort of thing. No given economy can be singled out as being absolutely "the worst", since "the worst" has an ambiguous definition.

I am not a Euro-taxpayer, but I reckon it might be worth paying unelected Euro-politicians their high salaries if they can come up with amazing jokes like this. Euro-taxpayers might not agree with this, of course.