topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: corrupt index (I think): how to fix?  (Read 27944 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: corrupt index (I think): how to fix?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 12:02 AM »
Well, it's a digression, but worth learning from nontheless:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Mediainfo: want to hear some shady shit??  Check this out:
-- go download the mediainfo installer
......I got tricked about this last year with some other askjeeves toolbar or something.  They put that pause there on purpose, and they are total assholes for doing so. (see attachment in previous post)

Yes, I noticed this sneaky underhanded attempt to get the AVG Toolbar installed, and nearly got caught too, after @4wd pointed me to use MediaInfo in another discussion thread:
Before investing any time in trying different editing software could you run MediaInfo over one of the files to see what it really is ?
Just did this. Here's a screenshot of the MediaInfo window. Is that enough? (see attachment in previous post)

I was very suspicious of MediaInfo after that. One of the really handy things about W7FC (Windows 7 Firewall Control) is that it always alerts and asks you what to do when a new proggy wants to communicate outwards. I just select "Disable" (block) all the stuff I hold as suspect or potentially suspect because unknown - e.g., including things I am merely trialling - as soon as it has installed. That's after it has got through various virus and MalwareBytes checks, of course.
As here, for example:
MediaInfo blocked by W7FC.png

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 12:33 AM »
... after @4wd pointed me to use MediaInfo in another discussion thread:

Sorry  :-[

I tend to always look for the Lite version of things but never actually refer to them by name, eg. MediaInfo when I mean MediaInfo Lite.  That also extended to the laziness in which I just added a link to the main program site.......sorry again.

Plus I run UniExtract over installers to see if programs really need to be installed, so I miss a lot of the extra 'goodies' they put in installers.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:39 AM by 4wd »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 01:20 AM »
...Sorry  :-[
...Plus I run UniExtract over installers to see if programs really need to be installed, so I miss a lot of the extra 'goodies' they put in installers.
Thanks - no harm done. I thought you probably did not know about the extra payload. MediaInfo otherwise seemed to do its job, so it was a worthwhile exercise.
I must check out UniExtract. Thanks.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 01:22 AM »
We've strayed some way from "corrupt index" though - haven't we?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Hey everyone, good news!  Everything is fine now (as far as I can tell).  :Thmbsup: Thanks to everyone here!

I backed up everything I could on my spare 3TB drive.  That went fine.
Then I read that updating the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers would fix my problem, and it sure seemed like it did!  So I installed the latest version of Intel RST.  Then, I ran chkdsk /r one more time and it looked like it recovered thousands upon thousands of orphan files and some other stuff.  Results are below:
Screenshot - 6_25_2012 , 5_14_44 PM.png

I tried a couple of the problem files I remember, and everything is working flawlessly.  Doesn't seem like I had any bad sectors or anything like that.  I suspect a few things.  Like I said before, the power cable was loose at one point.  Then, I also reinstalled Windows 7 so maybe I didn't update all the drivers and stuff for the 3TB storage, which has different requirements than the smaller drives.  Also, at one point I was trying to recover some files from a mac drive for a friend, and the MacDrive software was extremely intrusive and probably caused some issues.  i don't recommend using macdrive or any virtual mac drivers, they are awful.  I've done it three times now and it has never been smooth.  I'd avoid at all costs.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 07:39 PM »
good news :Thmbsup:

FWIW I'd still wash and reformat the drive before I used it...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 05:27 AM »
Then I read that updating the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers would fix my problem, and it sure seemed like it did!

Yay!  :Thmbsup:

Driver updates. Don't you just love it when it's that easy? ;D

P.S. I agree with Target. I'd do a scrub, re-partition, and reformat before I put it back in production too.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:35 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Driver updates. Don't you just love it when it's that easy?

He must have gotten a hold of the same screwed up version I did awhile back when my RAID5 array kept coming unwound. Driver I'd used for years had been fine, found an updated one...shit hit the fan, found yet another (even newer) one...and its been quiet ever since.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Then I read that updating the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers would fix my problem, and it sure seemed like it did!

Yay!  :Thmbsup:

Driver updates. Don't you just love it when it's that easy? ;D

P.S. I agree with Target. I'd do a scrub, re-partition, and reformat before I put it back in production too.
I will.  I have to replace several of the files anyway, some of them got a little garbled and there are artifacts when it plays now.  But I'll take it!

next project: my "portable university" experiment using XBMC.  I've been looking forward to this one for a year now.